• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

19-90

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
19-90

In this feature Martin looks back more than half a century to a bowling performance that will, almost certainly, never be equalled let alone bettered.

uvelocity

International Coach
hey you probably don't care, but I look on here quickly and write stuff in between working. I'm sure I want to read that, but I can't commit the time required!

read it now, nice article

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Gun article - you and the staff writers seem to find the perfect topics to discuss.

I have long been fascinated by that bowling performance. And read a wonderful description of it as a youth by memory part of it was

And as Laker closed in on his final few victims - an extrordinary emotion beset the crowd. Unpatriotically they wished with all their will that the Aussies would survive the biting spin of Tony Lock and then it would be all on again - willing each delivery of Laker to be the one that would take the next wicket."

fredfertang

Gun article - you and the staff writers seem to find the perfect topics to discuss.

I have long been fascinated by that bowling performance. And read a wonderful description of it as a youth by memory part of it was
Some time in the late 50s my Dad, who unlike me wasn't a bad cricketer, played in a charity/benefit match which had an evening do afterwards - There were a few blokes on either side who played bit of county cricket but Tony Lock was the special guest. He announced as soon as he arrived that while he was happy to play if anyone so much as uttered a word about Old trafford in '56 he'd up and leave - he then proceeded to go on about it from time to time throughout the day and evening with, of course, nobody actually daring to respond - my Dad said he was adamant he'd been unlucky and was clearly more than a little bitter and that, effectively, it could just as easily have been him who got the 19

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It mentions in the article about the five fielders on the legside. I thought that was only in ODI cricket? Aren't you allowed six in Test cricket?

Or was it changed back?

fredfertang

It mentions in the article about the five fielders on the legside. I thought that was only in ODI cricket? Aren't you allowed six in Test cricket?

Or was it changed back?
You can have as many as you want now Jack, as long as there are no more than two behind square - the post Laker change which limited it to a maximum of 5 was an experimental law that, initially at least, applied only to county cricket - the history of the development of the laws is one of the more impenetrable subjects I've come across, and short of wading through every year's Wisden since 1956 I'm not sure how many times the law was tinkered with or when