Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Match-Ups Made in Heaven

Match-Ups Made in Heaven

In modern times there have been some great contests between individual players from opposing teams. Any contest between Steve Waugh and Curtly Ambrose was always great to watch. I also looked forward to seeing Dennis Lillee bowling to Vivian Richards or Greg Chappell taking on Richard Hadlee. Even Allan Border merely surviving against Malcolm Marshall with Gus Logie at short leg had its own drama.

However, we will never be able to witness Muttiah Muralitharan bowl his doosra to Victor Trumper. Nor will ever see Vivian Richards try to belt Sydney Barnes out if the attack. We can only speculate how Sachin Tendulkar would cope with an hour of Bill O'Reilly at the SCG. Then there is Jack Hobbs and Herbert Sutcliffe against Allan Donald in Cape Town. I wouldn't mind watching WG Grace try to hit Glen McGrath over the fence at Lords either. What would Len Hutton make of Wasim Akram? The list is endless......

However, if I had a time-machine I would first like to go back to 1930 and ask a young Donald Bradman to join me before forwarding to the West Indies in 1980 to pick up Michael Holding. These two greats would be my match-up made in heaven.

Who would you choose?
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Muralitharan against Harvey. I daresay the latter would have won, but it would have been brilliant. I would just love to see modern day spinners get taught a lesson by the oldies- Trumper, Hobbs, Hammond, Bradman, McCabe, Morris, Harvey etc.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Muralitharan against Harvey. I daresay the latter would have won, but it would have been brilliant. I would just love to see modern day spinners get taught a lesson by the oldies- Trumper, Hobbs, Hammond, Bradman, McCabe, Morris, Harvey etc.
    Many of whom never played spinners of the quality of Murali and Warne...
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Briggs, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Verity, Lock, Laker, Wardle, Valentine, Ramadhin and Tayfield are all players that come to mine over the period those guys played.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    And the flip-side to that scenario is the oldies getting taught a lesson by the 1980's quicks. I've always wondered whether the 'The Don' would lose his off stump against Michael Holding as Geoff Boycott did in Barbados, or would the same ball be crashed through the covers.

As well as watching the respective skills of the different eras (incidently, Neil Harvey would probably make mince-meat of Murali, just like Brian Lara did) it would facinating watching the clash of personalities and temperments. The cool arrogance of Vivian Richards up against the white-hot arrogance of Sydney Barnes would be pure entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    And the flip-side to that scenario is the oldies getting taught a lesson by the 1980's quicks. I've always wondered whether the 'The Don' would lose his off stump against Michael Holding as Geoff Boycott did in Barbados, or would the same ball be crashed through the covers.
    It would be enthralling, but I'd put my money on Bradman of course.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    As well as watching the respective skills of the different eras (incidently, Neil Harvey would probably make mince-meat of Murali, just like Brian Lara did) it would facinating watching the clash of personalities and temperments. The cool arrogance of Vivian Richards up against the white-hot arrogance of Sydney Barnes would be pure entertainment.
    Definitely agree on the Harvey comparison- I think Murali and Warne were never consistently attacked, which is where they got a lot of their success from. The batsmen I listed would have attacked them relentlessly (for the most part).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Shaoib Akhtar versus Don Bradman bowling bodyline
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Botham bowling to Botham

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I'd like to see Jeff Thomson circa 1974/75 bowling to Douglas Jardine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Ponting against the quicks of the 1980s would have been great to watch.

Shane Warne vs Viv Richards is another contest I'd love to have seen.
    ​63*

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Didn't Ponting's average increase after Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Donald etc had retired?

For me it would be Bradman and Waqar. Would love to see a Bradman hobbling thanks to Waqar's toe crusher.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    I'd love to have seen a prime Waqar against this English batting line up. Carnage.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Didn't Ponting's average increase after Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Donald etc had retired?
    Yep, because Ponting was coming into his prime years as a batsman.

He's one of the best against pace I've seen, but I think it would have been interesting to watch Ponting at his prime take on better bowlers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information