• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tactical retiring in T20

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
With so few deliveries to play with, how long will it be before this tactic comes into play?

Makes sense to me, teams need to utilise their batting finishers in the same way the fielding side uses bowling finishers. Plus its better to retire a guy and keep him in reserve than have him attempt to 'hit out or get out'.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep they'd be done. But if you 2 down with 5 overs to go, and you got a guy batting struggling to land boundaries you'd think about it. assuming, of course, he just won't get out. And then comes in the more likely thing, dropping catches and what not when that struggling guy is in

NasserFan207

Yep they'd be done. But if you 2 down with 5 overs to go, and you got a guy batting struggling to land boundaries you'd think about it. assuming, of course, he just won't get out. And then comes in the more likely thing, dropping catches and what not when that struggling guy is in
Even just getting out uses up a delivery, and every one should matter in these hypothetical situations.

I didn't know there was a rule against retiring and coming out to bat again.

I bet it will change at some point though. T20 is getting closer and closer to baseball.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Been calling for this for years. It just makes sense, and not only for T20s. Sometimes necessary in ODIs.

uvelocity

International Coach
I remember Geoff Marsh (my favourite player at the time even though I modelled my backyard play on Terry Alderman) trying his best to get out once on about 80 (120) and it taking a while, before finally skying one to 3rd man. Was such a team player.

I also remember scoring about 600 as Geoff Marsh vs the garage door. Garage door never much of a threat.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like great strategy but it's not easy landing boundaries straight away for someone from ball 1 if the well settled one can't hit boundaries. But if players like Pollard, De Villiers are lined up then retirement should be a good strategy. Also 11 players allowed to bat for 20 overs doesn't make much sense though

NasserFan207

Furthermore, if bowlers are limited to allotted overs why not have the same for batsmen? Seems only fair IMO. :p