• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tactical retiring in T20

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Only if a bowler must be permanently removed from the attack whenever he bowls a no ball or gets hit for six. :p
No ball is fair, getting hit for a six, no. With modern overpowered bats you can be edged for six. Maybe if the batsman is Jonathan Trott

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've thought this would be a good tactic quite a few times before, but it would require such a massive swallowing of pride on behalf of the batsman to decide that it would be better for the team if he just folded. Most of the instances when it would be the right move arise when someone obviously shouldn't have been playing in the first place, usually in the case of a good test player that blatantly isn't cut out for T20. So to do it would almost be admitting that you shouldn't be in the team.

Also, both the player in question and the captain would come in for disproportionate criticism if it didn't come off, even if it had been the right move. And it would never be that much better than just having the batsman hit out or get out. All in all it doesn't really seem worth it.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I've thought this would be a good tactic quite a few times before, but it would require such a massive swallowing of pride on behalf of the batsman to decide that it would be better for the team if he just folded. Most of the instances when it would be the right move arise when someone obviously shouldn't have been playing in the first place, usually in the case of a good test player that blatantly isn't cut out for T20. So to do it would almost be admitting that you shouldn't be in the team.

Also, both the player in question and the captain would come in for disproportionate criticism if it didn't come off, even if it had been the right move. And it would never be that much better than just having the batsman hit out or get out. All in all it doesn't really seem worth it.
Right, but my thought-process was that certain batsmen are suited to individual parts of an innings and different roles. Circumstances change often in T20, steadier batsmen may be more beneficial in a low scoring game etc. In this regard I'm not sure it would hurt someones pride, it would be a pre-agreed tactic arranged by the team itself for that particular situation.

I doubt most test batsmen would care all that much tbh. Someone like Ganguly would probably have a meltdown over it, but he's **** anyway.