• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature : The Grim Reaper: Curtly Ambrose

jan

State Vice-Captain
"In a short-spell of 32 balls that defied limits Ambrose took seven wickets, conceding a solitary run."

That must have been epic to watch!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
What an amazing bowler, I have a hair behind Mcgrath because he sometimes reverted to controlling the run rate rather that all out attacking for wickets. One of the top three match winners though. Don't know why he cut back on his yorker in the second half of his career though, that was one hell of a delivery.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He wasn't playing with many runs towards the fag end of his career, unlike McGrath who would always have a stacked cordon to support him.

That 7/1 spell, as statistically incredible as it is, has never seemed to be something out of the ordinary to me. Never saw it live, was he really roughing up people? I saw this thread last night, and then went to see Shoaib Akhtar's little spell against the Aussies in Colombo. Now that was a force of nature. I get that you take whatever you get :laugh: but the 7/1 didn't seem to breathe fire if you know what I mean. Impeccable length on a bouncy wicket though, mandatory viewing for fast bowlers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Magnificent bowler. One you never looked away from watching, because something was always likely to happen.

Usually nothing good for the batsman.

Interestingly, when he started he had a devastating Garner-like Yorker, but he seemed to evolve away from using it as his career went on. Not that it made much difference.

Just a great, great bowler.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Love Curtly.

As a kid in the backyard, when Dad had had enough of bowling to me, "Curtly" would come on with the little wrist shake at the top of the action, and blast my stumps apart so he could go inside.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
As the saying goes, that was a standard spell from Ambrose, it just happened that this time he was getting lucky instead of the batsmen. :p
He wasn't playing with many runs towards the fag end of his career, unlike McGrath who would always have a stacked cordon to support him.

That 7/1 spell, as statistically incredible as it is, has never seemed to be something out of the ordinary to me. Never saw it live, was he really roughing up people? I saw this thread last night, and then went to see Shoaib Akhtar's little spell against the Aussies in Colombo. Now that was a force of nature. I get that you take whatever you get :laugh: but the 7/1 didn't seem to breathe fire if you know what I mean. Impeccable length on a bouncy wicket though, mandatory viewing for fast bowlers.
I agree. It was a regulation Curtly spell on bouncy wicket.

However, the ball he bowled to dismiss Border (and the celebration after that) was really special stuff.