• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in Sri Lanka 2012

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mendis will surely be part of the T20 WC squad. But playing him against PAK and IND (or any top country for that matter) in ODIs/Tests is just asking for trouble.

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pakistan have better bowling and Sri Lanka have better batting. The batting differences don't matter that much because of the nature of the surfaces so I reckon Pakistan will win it. If Pakistan can cope reasonably well with Jimmy/Broad/Swann, I can't see the likes of Lakmal and Herath causing them too many worries.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When you consider that Pakistan's opening bowlers are pretty average, and that Sri Lanka's batting advantage is basically doubled when they're at home - especially against good but orthodox spinners like Rehman and Hafeez - it hard to predict anything but a high scoring series. I'll go for 1-1.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dilshan is right-handed, so that won't work.

I guess Thirimanne might play, but he'd have to last an over to face Hafeez with the new pill.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dilshan is right-handed, so that won't work.

I guess Thirimanne might play, but he'd have to last an over to face Hafeez with the new pill.
:laugh:

True. Hopefully Mathews opens instead anyway. Don't see it happening though.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I always thoughPakistan were the one team who figured out Mendis quicker than anyone else.

Anyway, the more important issue is that you should post more.
In terms of matches no. But in terms of time yes. But that is mainly cus they played so much at the start of his career.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If Mahela opens, it leaves a spare batting spot for Chandimal and allows up to play Prasanna as keeper.

I doubt Mendis will play Tests, but he is good chance of making the ODI squad. We really need look to find a long term replacement for Herath and not be left with short term replacement like Herath is for Murali. Though Randiv and Senanayake are probably ahead of him the current rankings.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Pakistan play him quite easily in the 2008 Asia Cup when he was tying everyone else in knots?
I thought they struggled in general that series, apart from a couple spells. He owned India more, but Pakistan didn't look too comfortable that series.

I actually don't think Mendis has bowled that bad recently. It just the expectations are too high after the great start to his career.

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Mahela opens, it leaves a spare batting spot for Chandimal and allows up to play Prasanna as keeper.

I doubt Mendis will play Tests, but he is good chance of making the ODI squad. We really need look to find a long term replacement for Herath and not be left with short term replacement like Herath is for Murali. Though Randiv and Senanayake are probably ahead of him the current rankings.
Mahela's ever-persistent problems outside the off stump against the moving ball makes him too vulnerable at the top. Besides we need his experience in the middle order. I'm all for trying Mathews as an opener though, he's much better at handling pace and doesn't look all that comfy against spinners. Somehow has to get Chandimal in, but PJ should be the keeper at least on spinning home tracks.

Mendis' time is all but over IMO. The fact that he doesn't want a stock ball ends it then and there for him. Useless. Senanayake is a good Test prospect while Randiv should play more ODI cricket.