• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Misbah steps down as T20 captain

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's a good step esp considering T20 World Cup ahead. Hafeez can prepare all this team. It's good that he's just not being handed over moments before World Cup. Shoiab Malik inclusion doesn't make sense though with couple of other players but overall this team looks good

Fusion

Global Moderator
I’m going to disagree with the majority opinion here. I think it’s a really bad decision. If Misbah played for any other country besides Pakistan, this would’ve been the logical move. However, he plays for a highly dysfunctional side that’s prone to player divisions. When you have separate Captains for the sides, Pakistani players tend to divide and pick sides. I don’t think Hafeez is the sort to cause that himself, but there can be others in the team that can cause issues. For example, how pleased will Afridi be to play under Hafeez? I just think that for a still-rebuilding side, it would’ve been ideal to have a single Captain. Especially one like Misbah who has proven that he can hold the team together and deliver results.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I’m going to disagree with the majority opinion here. I think it’s a really bad decision. If Misbah played for any other country besides Pakistan, this would’ve been the logical move. However, he plays for a highly dysfunctional side that’s prone to player divisions. When you have separate Captains for the sides, Pakistani players tend to divide and pick sides. I don’t think Hafeez is the sort to cause that himself, but there can be others in the team that can cause issues. For example, how pleased will Afridi be to play under Hafeez? I just think that for a still-rebuilding side, it would’ve been ideal to have a single Captain. Especially one like Misbah who has proven that he can hold the team together and deliver results.
Agree with what you're saying but I doubt Misbah is the kind of character who'd think he's so indispensable to the grand scheme of things in Pak cricket (even though he probably is at this time). Looks like he's bowing out after evaluating what he can offer as a player to the format. (I assume this is also the end of his T20 career?)

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
You have a point there certainly. But for being a captain one has to be a better performing T20 player too, not saying Misbah isn't one but Pak is full of loads better T20 player than Misbah. Otherwise it would have been a mirror of let's say "Ganguly"

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah......Misbah doesn't cut it as a T20 player IMO or at least many better players available as Andy mentions. If he can't really contribute much as a player then there isn't much point being just a captain and setting field placings

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Respect for Misbah....but he should have stayed as captain until the rebuilding phase sort of matured a bit.