• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meaning of the word timing

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Whenever I watch cricket I hear the expression "that was well timed" or "great timing" frequently. And often excessively - it seems like any miss hit is put down to poor timing and any good shot is due to good timing.

My definition of well timed - is a shot that is hit at precisely the right moment. With front foot drives this should be when the ball is just past your heel of your front foot.

A miss hit where you have hit the ball with the outside half of your bat has nothing to do with timing IMHO.

And I would also not call a shot where you have used poor technique and not held your form and shape properly poor timing. That is just a poor shot.

How do you understand the term timing?

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much as Jager. 'Timing' might be a misnomer, but I take it as meaning a perfect, '***y' shot.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I always interpreted it as hitting the perfect sweet spot of the bat.
Pretty much as Jager. 'Timing' might be a misnomer, but I take it as meaning a perfect, '***y' shot.

I suggest these are modern interpretations of the original intent of the word. I suspect, but can't prove, that the original intent of the word was to suggest the moment the ball was hit rather than how ***y your shot is.

A well timed shot will always look ***y because it should go a long way with minimal effort.

uvelocity

International Coach
hitting the middle of the bat helps. look at the slow mo cams when someone really mistimes one

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, it basically means how well you hit the ball in the middle of the bat. I mean, there's time where guys hit the ball just over the head of a man in the ring, they don't want to hit it in the air, but it gets over because "they timed it well enough". It's a bit of a misnomer really.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
There's more to timing than 'to hit the sweet spot of the bat' IMO.

Think of the differnce between a front-foot straight drive, and a forward defense. In the first one, the bat is in motion while the ball hits the sweet spot. In the other one, the bat might be static. You may have taken your pose by the time the ball comes and hits your bat, and it's a perfectly legit forward defense - but that can't be the case for a good straight drive.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Late cuts don't hit the middle of the bat do they? Timing, to me, is more about intercepting the ball at the correct instant so as to utilize its speed and height to impart maximum velocity to your strokes. That, and the middle of the bat while playing in the general V of course.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Late cuts don't hit the middle of the bat do they? Timing, to me, is more about intercepting the ball at the correct instant so as to utilize its speed and height to impart maximum velocity to your strokes. That, and the middle of the bat while playing in the general V of course.
I like this answer - and it is closer to the truth - but I think it is about intercepting the ball at the point where your weight transfer and arc of the bat and acceleration on the down swing is at its optimum.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tim·ing/ˈtīmiNG/
Noun:

The choice, judgment, or control of when something should be done: "one of the secrets of golf is good timing".
A particular point or period of time when something happens.

howardj

International Coach
The meaning of the word has been dragged through the bush by the likes of Bill Lawry and other such lazy commentators who, any time the ball meets the rope, spit out "oh beautiful timing".

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think "timing", as used by comms, also includes an inherent bias towards shots that aren't overly muscled. One sometimes hears the Gowers and the Chappellis of the world say that a shot that looks like a gentle push initially is "all timing" or "pure timing" when the ball reaches the boundary.

It's a doubly weird concept really because some of the absolute giants of the game, one thinks instantly of Brian Charles here, play the ball very late indeed. So late, in fact, one could argue that if "timing" in a cricket sense meant the same as it does in general parlance that their timing was slightly off because they arguably play the ball fractionally after the optimal time.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed that would be possible, hitting the ball too late and mistiming it.

However - I suspect that he probably got it right many times. I say this because my own experience with timing - suggests that hitting the ball later than you normally would is key.

Either after the ball passes past your front foot rather than in line with your foot - or you can focus on hitting it right below your eyes IMHO