• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meaning of the word timing

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think it should mean what Hurricane is saying, but commentators use it to also mean where it hits on the bat. As Vic said sometimes batsmen are too early on a drive and hit it in the air, but because they middle it it goes for four. They still say they timed it well though.

hazsa19

International Regular
For me Damien Martyn was 'all timing'. Just seemed effortless in his strokes. Is that the kind of example or explanation you want to move away from Hurricane?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ed Smith wrote a bit about timing in On and Off the Field. From memory I think he identified three or four elements to it, but the one he focused on most was tightening one's grip at the precise moment of contact- much like tennis or golf coaches would advise. It's essentially a way of generating power without compromising control, and results in shots that look effortless but fly to the boundary in seconds.

shankar

International Debutant
A batsman swings his bat at a delivery and meets the ball at some location in the arc that the bat-middle (i.e. spot on the bat where the ball strikes) traces. Ideal timing is when this location coincides with the point in the arc where the velocity of the bat-middle is highest and more importantly the directions of the velocity of the bat-middle and the ball are exactly opposite to each other.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
For me Damien Martyn was 'all timing'. Just seemed effortless in his strokes. Is that the kind of example or explanation you want to move away from Hurricane?
Happy with that explanation as good timing results in effortless strokes zipping to the boundary - trying to move away from what HowardJ is commentating on in his post below.

The meaning of the word has been dragged through the bush by the likes of Bill Lawry and other such lazy commentators who, any time the ball meets the rope, spit out "oh beautiful timing".
Ed Smith wrote a bit about timing in On and Off the Field. From memory I think he identified three or four elements to it, but the one he focused on most was tightening one's grip at the precise moment of contact- much like tennis or golf coaches would advise. It's essentially a way of generating power without compromising control, and results in shots that look effortless but fly to the boundary in seconds.
Interesting.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Late cuts don't hit the middle of the bat do they? Timing, to me, is more about intercepting the ball at the correct instant so as to utilize its speed and height to impart maximum velocity to your strokes. That, and the middle of the bat while playing in the general V of course.
nailed it

also it can be described as the horizontal distance from the point of delivery to the impact when the bat meets the ball.

*time= distance/speed

I'm not sure if you would calculate the bat speed or bowl speed here.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Late cuts don't hit the middle of the bat do they? Timing, to me, is more about intercepting the ball at the correct instant so as to utilize its speed and height to impart maximum velocity to your strokes. That, and the middle of the bat while playing in the general V of course.
A well timed late cut will hit the middle of the bat though. It's just not quite as noticeable as with shots in front of square as you don't need to add any pace to the ball.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spent the last ten minutes just staring at that gif.
This.

Timing is all about applying exactly the right force to the ball due to the position of your bat as the ball strikes it. Well timed shots go further and faster because all the energy of the bat is applied to the ball.

You can really see the effect of poor timing on slow pitches. Batsmen all tend to get "starts" but noone really goes on. This is because the pitch changes the timing of the bowling so that each shot is played fractionally earlier than it should be based on the speed of the bowling. This means batsmen are more likely to spoon one.

You can't hit a great shot without good timing but you can hit a bad shot with good timing (by playing the wrong line).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Spent the last ten minutes just staring at that gif.
Dunno about ten but I watched it a heap of times

As people may have noticed (:ph34r:) I follow sport as a supporter first and foremost. I don't enjoy a great match where I'm a neutral as much as a horrible contest where my team wins.

However, Warne is one of the great equalisers for me. Just love the player, ****ing immense.

Edit - apologies for the OT post

Last edited: