Thread: Dermot Reeve or Newell as Bangla Coach?

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar

Dermot Reeve or Newell as Bangla Coach?

ESPNcricinfo understands that 47-year-old Newell, who has twice led Nottinghamshire to the County Championship title, is a frontrunner for the role alongside former Warwickshire captain Dermot Reeve, while there is also interest from Bangladesh in talking to Allan Donald, currently the South Africa bowling coach.

Bangladesh news: Notts coach Mick Newell in running for Bangladesh job | Bangladesh Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Interesting!
    Personally I would like to see John Wright.
    What do you guys think?

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    While a couple of the candidates in the list may come as a surprise - Newell and Reeve - I do think that what Mick Newell has achieved at Notts makes him a credible contender. Very much like when Australia were the team to beat for such a long period, it was fashionable for countries looking for a new coach to install an Australian. Now I'm not for one minute suggesting that England are dominating Test cricket at the moment and most certainly nothing like the period of dominance Australia enjoyed, but being No.1 in the Test rankings does indicate that we have got a number of things right in our domestic cricket and there are a number of well thought of coaches around the country.

Of course there is always going to be question marks over coaches that haven't played at international level, so opting for Newell will inevitably be viewed as a gamble.

As for the unorthodox and controversial Dermot Reeve, he left Central Districts in New Zealand back in 2010 to live in Sydney due to family committments, so I don't know if his situation has since changed, but an international position as head coach would presumably be unlikely.

AD would be a decent option, but I'm not convinced on his intentions to apply for the job either.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

International 12th Man
    I'd be pretty ripped if Donald had agreed to stay on as NZ's bowling coach, reneged and went to SA then took up a job like Bangladesh.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Donald turned down the Bangladesh job, hardly surprising really the team been so poor and him already having employment in his home country really.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    Donald turned down the Bangladesh job, hardly surprising really the team been so poor and him already having employment in his home country really.
    poor like what? Have you been following cricket recently? Anyways it's all about money in cricket these days otherwise how come Donald coaching a mediocre rubbish team like Pune?

Tim Neilsen now surfaced as the frontrunner and Bangla has already got a great bowling coach and about Donald it was hype by media, he was not contacted by BCB neither Donald has any interest

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Donald coaching Bangladesh would've made no sense for either side, his area of expertise is fast bowling, and Bangladesh have no fast bowlers.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    poor like what? Have you been following cricket recently? Anyways it's all about money in cricket these days otherwise how come Donald coaching a mediocre rubbish team like Pune?

Tim Neilsen now surfaced as the frontrunner and Bangla has already got a great bowling coach and about Donald it was hype by media, he was not contacted by BCB neither Donald has any interest
    As in god awful in tests.

And I don't doubt the current bowling coach's credentials I just think there's a clear dearth of talent in bowlers in Bangladeshi cricket at the moment.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    Donald coaching Bangladesh would've made no sense for either side, his area of expertise is fast bowling, and Bangladesh have no fast bowlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    As in god awful in tests.

And I don't doubt the current bowling coach's credentials I just think there's a clear dearth of talent in bowlers in Bangladeshi cricket at the moment.
    the main problem is that bangla don't get support from people who are like playing cricket for over 100 years

Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    the main problem is that bangla don't get support from people who are like playing cricket for over 100 years
    Main problem for every cricketing nation IMO. 100 year veterans would do wonders for the Australian Test side at the moment.
    ~ Cribbage

Apparently Newell doesn't have a clue why his names being brought up, he hasn't applied for the post or been contacted.

Audioboo / Mick Newell on his being linked with the Bangladesh job and views on Stuart Broad and allowing Jimmy Anderson to bowl in the morning.

Why did you change your avatar!!!! It was so cool to just stare at it and ignore your rubbish posts

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Why did you change your avatar!!!! It was so cool to just stare at it and ignore your rubbish posts
    Cheeky little bastard
    Got bored with it, not sure if I'm going to stick with the new Hulk one, when I've shrunk it down you can hardly see it.

Remember watching the show. It was a classic.

Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

Thread Information