• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dermot Reeve or Newell as Bangla Coach?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
ESPNcricinfo understands that 47-year-old Newell, who has twice led Nottinghamshire to the County Championship title, is a frontrunner for the role alongside former Warwickshire captain Dermot Reeve, while there is also interest from Bangladesh in talking to Allan Donald, currently the South Africa bowling coach.

Bangladesh news: Notts coach Mick Newell in running for Bangladesh job | Bangladesh Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Interesting!
Personally I would like to see John Wright.
What do you guys think?

Woodster

International Captain
While a couple of the candidates in the list may come as a surprise - Newell and Reeve - I do think that what Mick Newell has achieved at Notts makes him a credible contender. Very much like when Australia were the team to beat for such a long period, it was fashionable for countries looking for a new coach to install an Australian. Now I'm not for one minute suggesting that England are dominating Test cricket at the moment and most certainly nothing like the period of dominance Australia enjoyed, but being No.1 in the Test rankings does indicate that we have got a number of things right in our domestic cricket and there are a number of well thought of coaches around the country.

Of course there is always going to be question marks over coaches that haven't played at international level, so opting for Newell will inevitably be viewed as a gamble.

As for the unorthodox and controversial Dermot Reeve, he left Central Districts in New Zealand back in 2010 to live in Sydney due to family committments, so I don't know if his situation has since changed, but an international position as head coach would presumably be unlikely.

AD would be a decent option, but I'm not convinced on his intentions to apply for the job either.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be pretty ripped if Donald had agreed to stay on as NZ's bowling coach, reneged and went to SA then took up a job like Bangladesh.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Donald turned down the Bangladesh job, hardly surprising really the team been so poor and him already having employment in his home country really.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Donald turned down the Bangladesh job, hardly surprising really the team been so poor and him already having employment in his home country really.
poor like what? Have you been following cricket recently? Anyways it's all about money in cricket these days otherwise how come Donald coaching a mediocre rubbish team like Pune?

Tim Neilsen now surfaced as the frontrunner and Bangla has already got a great bowling coach and about Donald it was hype by media, he was not contacted by BCB neither Donald has any interest

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Donald coaching Bangladesh would've made no sense for either side, his area of expertise is fast bowling, and Bangladesh have no fast bowlers.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
poor like what? Have you been following cricket recently? Anyways it's all about money in cricket these days otherwise how come Donald coaching a mediocre rubbish team like Pune?

Tim Neilsen now surfaced as the frontrunner and Bangla has already got a great bowling coach and about Donald it was hype by media, he was not contacted by BCB neither Donald has any interest
As in god awful in tests.

And I don't doubt the current bowling coach's credentials I just think there's a clear dearth of talent in bowlers in Bangladeshi cricket at the moment.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
As in god awful in tests.

And I don't doubt the current bowling coach's credentials I just think there's a clear dearth of talent in bowlers in Bangladeshi cricket at the moment.
the main problem is that bangla don't get support from people who are like playing cricket for over 100 years

Jacknife

International Captain
Why did you change your avatar!!!! It was so cool to just stare at it and ignore your rubbish posts :p
Cheeky little bastard :-O
Got bored with it, not sure if I'm going to stick with the new Hulk one, when I've shrunk it down you can hardly see it.