• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Finest All-Rounder to have Graced the Game?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fascinating read.

Maybe also worth noting that Miller had a decent Aussie Rules career, being good enough to be selected for Victoria despite playing for a struggling St Kilda team & having the back woes fred mentions. This makes him (with due respect to Both's brief dalliance with S****horpe) the only one of the great all rounders to play another sport at its highest level too.

Jager

International Debutant
Fascinating read.

Maybe also worth noting that Miller had a decent Aussie Rules career, being good enough to be selected for Victoria despite playing for a struggling St Kilda team & having the back woes fred mentions. This makes him (with due respect to Both's brief dalliance with S****horpe) the only one of the great all rounders to play another sport at its highest level too.
On top of that, he was also asked to trial for the Boston Red Sox... he must have been some talent.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Who is the Finest All-Rounder to have Graced the Game?

If Imran Khan is excluded.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Very good read. The Miller story was great and I enjoyed the further information provided on Faulkner. He seems quite a popular name these days (Faulkner) on CW and when you look at purely his figures you can see why. So it was nice to see a few reasons why his stats probably don't show his actual value.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Very interesting read Fred. For people who have little knowledge about the games history, articles like this are always fascinating to read. Nice to know the statistics don't tell the whole story with Milller, as impressive as they are anyway.

Debris

International 12th Man
I guess this settles the argument once and for all, right? Miller is clearly the best all-rounder and we can stop having these silly debates about it.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Miller had only one outstanding series with the bat and that was one that was played on flat pitches againts a tired, old and depleted attack where Walcotts runs are mostly discredited because of the pitches and age of Lindwall and Miller. His bowling was superb, but with half of his hundreds scored in a high scoring series, his batting isn't quite to that level to be called the greatest all rounder ever considering Imran was the better bower and Sobers batting was better than his bowing. Also as maligned as Sobers bowling was, persons forget that at times Sobers for a long time carried the West Indies bowling, opening the bowling as well as being the stock bowler, keeping the run rate down and all this after making his debut as a left arm spinner. Add to this his captaincy and briliant slip fielding, the title still rests with Sobers.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think the thing with Miller is that even with all the problems and side issues he had that Martin mentions, his overall stats are still awesome. Like Martin, I've also changed my opinion after looking at his career more in depth. In the beginning I kinda went with the crowd with Sir Garry; then onto Imran only to find that his all-rounder skills generally didn't occur at the same time; then I came to Miller.

Miller who could bat in the top order for the Invincibles and was also one of the best bowlers of his time. Who was renown initially as a batsman but turned himself into a bowler for the team. A fantastic talent, whose circumstances didn't seem to get him down but with which he dealt with almost irreverently. He was a real-life movie character, if that makes sense.

Jager

International Debutant
I think the thing with Miller is that even with all the problems and side issues he had that Martin mentions, his overall stats are still awesome. Like Martin, I've also changed my opinion after looking at his career more in depth. In the beginning I kinda went with the crowd with Sir Garry; then onto Imran only to find that his all-rounder skills generally didn't occur at the same time; then I came to Miller.

Miller who could bat in the top order for the Invincibles and was also one of the best bowlers of his time. Who was renown initially as a batsman but turned himself into a bowler for the team. A fantastic talent, whose circumstances didn't seem to get him down but with which he dealt with almost irreverently. He was a real-life movie character, if that makes sense.
"Miller would leap towards the ball and clutch it with a flurry of arms and legs, like a cat grabbing a bird flying bast its hiding place... Miller would do the near impossible."
I loved that quote by Ashley Mallett. It helps paint a picture of Miller the fielder to me.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Miller, the best all-rounder to have graced the game, but Sobers the best all round player to have graced the game. If that makes much sense to you, then we are on equal wavelengths.