Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way of simulating an entire match?

State Vice-Captain

Any way of simulating an entire match?

Since there are so many best of teams going around, can we actually have two compete against each other? We could start with deciding the weather, pitch condition, and size of outfield as each day commences. Then based on those three factors, we can split innings into increments of 10, 20, 30, whatever is the most convenient. Finally, we can do polls on the likeliest results at the end of each of these increments. That's a very rough gist of what I had in mind. I'm not aware if a sim like this is already running somewhere on this site, and I suppose this can be a pretty time-consuming exercise, but worth a shot? Suggestions?

EDIT: I might be thinking out my ass though..too many complications - field placements, change in bowling, etc.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 05-05-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Think that's what the ATG thread being run by NUFAN is heading towards.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Would love to pit the AT teams of England, Australia, South Africa and West Indies againts each other to see what the eventual outcome would be, would bet for a West Indies vs Australia final, though would have no idea who would win. Bradman and better bowling variety vs that amazing middle order and unmatched pace attack. (would be playing Walcott as keeper btw).

Some one should be able to do this.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

I believe the sim most frequently used is 'Internet Test Cricket'. Join in with the ATG XI game, NUFAN's doing a great job of running it- we're looking to have 10-16 all time great teams which we'll simulate a tournament with at the end.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar

Simulations are a bit of fun but all they really do is quantify the bias in the programmer's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    Simulations are a bit of fun but all they really do is quantify the bias in the programmer's opinions.
    How so? I don't really understand the workings of the sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    How so? I don't really understand the workings of the sim.
    Well any simulation is played under a version of cricket stipulated to by the creator of the program. For example, Daniel Thomas might think you can get away with rotating four good bowlers all day and write his problem to reflect that view of cricket, while you might think he's wrong and thus consider it an inaccurate simulation for that reason.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well any simulation is played under a version of cricket stipulated to by the creator of the program. For example, Daniel Thomas might think you can get away with rotating four good bowlers all day and write his problem to reflect that view of cricket, while you might think he's wrong and thus consider it an inaccurate simulation for that reason.
    Ah, I see, so there is user input? I was under the impression that you put all the statistics in and press 'play'.

Ah, I see, so there is user input? I was under the impression that you put all the statistics in and press 'play'.
    Yes, but the software that turns that numbers into cricket is based on the creator's interpretation of what does and doesn't work in a cricket match.

Yes, but the software that turns that numbers into cricket is based on the creator's interpretation of what does and doesn't work in a cricket match.
    Okay thanks- hopefully someone relatively creative runs our sims then!

Okay thanks- hopefully someone relatively creative runs our sims then!
    Nah you're missing my point. I give up.

Nah you're missing my point. I give up.
    Can I use the 2 in the morning excuse? I'll just let someone else do the simming and ask no questions

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    So I guess we will be using PEWS sim for the exercise then. Any bias we should know about PEWS?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Interesting that the West Indies won both the overall sims. Hard to beat sustained great fast bowling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information