• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any way of simulating an entire match?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Since there are so many best of teams going around, can we actually have two compete against each other? We could start with deciding the weather, pitch condition, and size of outfield as each day commences. Then based on those three factors, we can split innings into increments of 10, 20, 30, whatever is the most convenient. Finally, we can do polls on the likeliest results at the end of each of these increments. That's a very rough gist of what I had in mind. I'm not aware if a sim like this is already running somewhere on this site, and I suppose this can be a pretty time-consuming exercise, but worth a shot? Suggestions?

EDIT: I might be thinking out my ass though..too many complications - field placements, change in bowling, etc.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Would love to pit the AT teams of England, Australia, South Africa and West Indies againts each other to see what the eventual outcome would be, would bet for a West Indies vs Australia final, though would have no idea who would win. Bradman and better bowling variety vs that amazing middle order and unmatched pace attack. (would be playing Walcott as keeper btw).

Some one should be able to do this.

Jager

International Debutant
I believe the sim most frequently used is 'Internet Test Cricket'. Join in with the ATG XI game, NUFAN's doing a great job of running it- we're looking to have 10-16 all time great teams which we'll simulate a tournament with at the end.

Debris

International 12th Man
Simulations are a bit of fun but all they really do is quantify the bias in the programmer's opinions. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How so? I don't really understand the workings of the sim.
Well any simulation is played under a version of cricket stipulated to by the creator of the program. For example, Daniel Thomas might think you can get away with rotating four good bowlers all day and write his problem to reflect that view of cricket, while you might think he's wrong and thus consider it an inaccurate simulation for that reason.

Jager

International Debutant
Well any simulation is played under a version of cricket stipulated to by the creator of the program. For example, Daniel Thomas might think you can get away with rotating four good bowlers all day and write his problem to reflect that view of cricket, while you might think he's wrong and thus consider it an inaccurate simulation for that reason.
Ah, I see, so there is user input? I was under the impression that you put all the statistics in and press 'play'.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah, I see, so there is user input? I was under the impression that you put all the statistics in and press 'play'.
Yes, but the software that turns that numbers into cricket is based on the creator's interpretation of what does and doesn't work in a cricket match.

Jager

International Debutant
Yes, but the software that turns that numbers into cricket is based on the creator's interpretation of what does and doesn't work in a cricket match.
Okay thanks- hopefully someone relatively creative runs our sims then!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting that the West Indies won both the overall sims. Hard to beat sustained great fast bowling.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Jager - PEWS' point isn't so much about who does the simming but about the programming of the sim in the first place. Any method of making a simulator is bound to involve certain simplifications and/or exclusions of aspects of real play, and the extent to which that happens is chiefly up to whether or not the programmer thought a particular aspect was important or not.

For example, let's say you try to sim Dennis Lillee's opening spell. One programmer (programmer Alex) might say that Lillee is more likely to take a wicket in his opening over than in his six or seventh, because he has a newer ball and the batsman hasn't got his eye in yet. So Alex includes a line of code that gives Lillee a higher probability of taking a wicket in his first over. However, a different programmer (Ben) might disagree, and say that since Lillee would take a bit of time to get into his rhythm, he'd probably bowling at his best after half a dozen overs, and so the slightly more set batsman is probably just canceled out. So Ben excludes that extra line of Alex's in order to give Lillee the same probability of taking a wicket throughout his spell.

Last edited: