• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Worst 15 Cricketers of All Time - The Results

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Number 8=: James Marshall

Highest Ranking 2
Total Points 14
Number of Votes Received 2/13

The exceptional James Marshall. Prince amongst the Curly Haired **** brigade that runs like a toxic river through the conurbation that is New Zealand sport. Marshall retired last year to become a commercial real estate agent in Hamilton, and one can only hope that he makes more success of his new career than he did as a batsman for New Zealand.

Marshall's first call up for New Zealand was as a result of that most annoying of events that littered New Zealand cricket in the mid-2000s. His selection was a lingering grope in the dark by John Bracewell. One of many that Bracewell made during his tenure as coach. Between September 2003 and November 2008 - he promoted and failed to get the best out of a veritable smorgasbord of New Zealand batsmen - Craig Cumming, Peter Fulton, Jamie How, Michael Papps and Richard Jones.

Some of those players even ended up with worse records than Marshall, but yet here he is - firmly ensconced within the top 10 worst players ever to appear in Test cricket. So, this begs the question - why is he here?

Firstly, his selection raised eyebrows at the time. Marshall's first class average at in March 2005 was below the 30 mark and he'd hardly set the media's pens aflame with stirring tales of derring do amongst the fields of Northern Districts. His first forays for New Zealand - in an ODI series against Australia didn't exactly bode well either. In particular, in the final ODI at Napier, a lack of certainty against the quicks saw Marshall fail to get forward to Mike Kasprowicz and was bowled off the pad first ball - this on a very true wicket which Australia had plundered 347 on.

By the time the 3rd Test against Australia came around that summer, New Zealand were in a bit of disarray. They had been thrashed in the first Test at Christchurch by nine wickets despite a valuable and hard fought 146 from Hamish Marshall . The 2nd Test was even more of a drubbing, except that New Zealand were saved by the rain - with 7 wickets remaining, they were still 278 in arrears from Australia's first innings. The New Zealand batting order was struggling to find two openers to rely on. Craig Cumming had filled one spot for the series by scoring 74 at Christchurch, whilst Bracewell was experimenting with Fleming opening and Lou Vincent at 4. Fleming had endured a torrid time up top, falling to Glenn McGrath 3 times out of 4 and not reaching 20. His spot in the team was subject to National debate on radio talkback and it was inevitable that something had to change. Fleming, as New Zealand's best batsman at the time, wanted to move back to #4 where he was more comfortable. At the same time, Craig McMillan had been enduring a poor run of form across Test and ODI cricket. The solution was to move Vincent down to 6, Fleming to 4 and pick someone else from domestic cricket to fill the openers berth. Much speculation suggested that Marshall's selection was a punt based on how well his brother - Hamish - had been playing - particularly in that hundred at Christchurch. So, in came James Marshall to make his debut at Eden Park - opening the batting against the formidable new ball pairing of McGrath and Gillespie. In doing so, the Marshalls became the first pair of identical twins to play in a Test match together (the Waughs being non-identical twins for the record)

James' debut was in a positively funereal first innings. Glenn McGrath bowled majestically on a slow pitch and sedate outfield. The first day saw only 199 runs scored and the parsimonious McGrath bowled 24 overs, conceding only 20 runs. In this light, Marshall's 29 exceeded both his first class average and most people's expectations. He was also the fastest scorer on that first day - nearly a run every 2nd ball. He opened his Test account with a well directed glide through the slips cordon for 4 and caused some confusion for the Australians when, after 8 overs he was joined at the crease by his brother Hamish upon the dismissal of Cumming. The only way that Ricky Ponting was able to distinguish the brothers from one another was that Hamish didn't wear an arm guard. Unfortunately for James, his hard work was undone by what Wisden described as a 'Lazy' back-foot push, with the bat well away from his body - against the bowling of McGrath - sending the ball into the grateful hands of Matthew Hayden at Gully. The fact was, however, that Marshall had exceeded expectations against one of the greatest bowling attacks assembled, and had fared better than Fleming had done opening. The fact Fleming went on to make 65 reinforced for the media that the right call had been made. That was perhaps the high point of James' Test batting career.

In the 2nd innings, he was besieged by McGrath - if only 7 balls can count as besieged. He was first struck by McGrath flush on the helmet - ducking into a bouncer that didn't lift as expected. Shortly after, McGrath slipped a ball in on a good length just outside off and Marshall willingly edged the ball to Langer at 3rd slip. New Zealand duly capitulated the next day to lose by 9 wickets. Even if Marshall hadn't set the world on fire with the bat, he'd done okay - as far as New Zealand openers go - and also demonstrated his exceptional fielding ability by running out Michael Clarke at the non-strikers end with a direct hit from the covers whilst Clarke was waiting to see if there was an opportunity for a single.

So, if his debut was the high point, where did it all really go wrong for Marshall? Well, it wasn't in his next two Tests (against Sri Lanka) - scoring 52 and 39 on a belter of a batting track at Napier and 28 in an innings win for New Zealand in Wellington.

The wheels started to come off on New Zealand's tour of Zimbabwe later in 2005. In two matches where New Zealand won by an innings, Marshall contributed 5 and 10 respectively. In the series, he again displayed some weakness outside the off stump - edging Mahwire to Taibu on a grassy, seaming deck at Harare and then being well caught by Stuart Carlisle in the gully off Heath Streak on a much better wicket for batting at Bulawayo.

That was the end of Marshall's first spell in the team. He was unceremoniously dropped for the next Test and didn't return for nearly 3 years, earning a recall to face England at the home of cricket off the back of a solid domestic season in 2008 (616 runs @ 51.33). His return to Test cricket was not to be a happy one. Maybe he had corrected his technical issues outside off stump, though perhaps there wasn't quite enough time at the crease to be sure of that. In the first innings at Lord's, he was undone edging a seaming ball from Broad to first slip. In the 2nd innings and the 1st dig at Old Trafford, he was unable to read the swing and angle from Ryan Sidebottom and was pinned Lbw for a duck both times. His final innings was ended by a Monty Panesar arm ball. The final analysis shows that he played 7 Test matches and finished with an average of 19.81.

I must confess to having an irrational dislike for the selection of Marshall at the time. He didn't deserve his place in the team on the evidence of his first class record, but like so many other New Zealand batsmen, he was stuffed into an unfamiliar batting position and asked to do a job or not get the chance. Take it or leave it. For your first international assignment to be to face down Glenn McGrath at his peak would have been a baptism of fire for any opener, let alone a makeshift one.

Career Highlight

You've been watching Ryan Sidebottom swing the ball around, and how he uses his variations to great effect during a decent opening partnership between How and Redmond at Old Trafford. Make sure you use your feet well and with confidence when facing him. Or not and get out. Oh well.

What they said about him

James Marshall WAC you are. GAGF you ****.
Ruining people's fantasy cricket teams since 2011:

It just occured to me that if Chewie didn't pick James Marshall and instead picked for example.... me.

They'd have won.

0 points >>>>>>>> -14 points
I'd like to see the replay of this'n:

Loved Broom's dismissal of James Marshall. Just served to highlight the continuing mediocrity of the Marshalls by bowling him with what was pretty much just a poor long hop.
The Big Calls: Right here

I can understand people not wanting Sinclair in the team, but Sinclair doesn't deserve to be compared to the Marshall twins. Especially James.

Way to go James Marshall.
I was looking forward to watching a chase. Win or lose.

But thanks to you, you have robbed the game of any enjoyment.

*turns off stream*

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I always thought James was by far and away the better Marshall.

He played a good ODI knock once that I remember watching.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Lol, Marshall brothers

I don't remember who I voted for at all - there were some Bangladeshis I think

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In heef's esteemed write up he inferred it was not sound logic to select James just because Hamish was doing well. I think that logic is probably excusable actually. They have identical genes and probably grew up training as much as each other so they should have close abilities.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It wasn't just on field that the Marshalls plied their trade together...ask Haidee Tiffin. Unsure if James was the weak link there also

cnerd123

likes this
They looked the same, had pretty much the same technique, same upbringing, similar levels of experiece...it's as close to cloning a batsman as you can get.

Question is why on earth would you want a Hamish Marshall clone?

HeathDavisSpeed

I think that logic is probably excusable actually.
It is not at all excusable. Identical twins don't have identical experiences or skills. If there were identical triplets and the third had never played cricket, you wouldn't have advocated his selection (though I wouldn't have put it past Bracers to do so)

cnerd123

likes this
Cricketing brothers have often worked out well though, haven't they?

The Bedsers, Waughs, Flowers, Pathans, Bravos, Pollocks...

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricketing brothers have often worked out well though, haven't they?

The Bedsers, Waughs, Flowers, Pathans, Bravos, Pollocks...
I'm sure there are more sets of brothers that haven't. And the Bravos aren't exactly an ideal example, given they're only half-brothers.

EDIT: My brother, for example, bowls like a windmill (kinda like that guy in Lagaan). He's a shambles.

Last edited: