• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW All-Time XI

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The "Official" CW XI :

Jack Hobbs (80.95)
Len Hutton (41.27)
Don Bradman (91.67)
Viv Richards (46.67)
Sachin Tendulkar (46.67)
Garry Sobers (71.43)
Adam Gilchrist (77.36)
Imran Khan (42.86)
Malcolm Marshall (74.07)
Shane Warne (45.24)
Glenn Mcgrath (33.30)

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Names listed with the percentage of votes received. Mcgrath had the closest vote but the rest were pretty decisive. So what do you guys think, representative of the site? Kinda got the idea that some wanted Hadlee over Mcgrath, but what say you.

Thanks for voting, each poll had at least 50 votes, so participation was good and should be a good representation of the forum.

Jager

International Debutant
participation was good and should be a good representation of the forum.
Very unimaginative of us imo. That being said, this team seems (at least on face value) borderline undefeatable. It will be very interesting to see how our second, third and fourth etc. teams fair against this one in the sim.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's rather unfair to decry the orthodox nature of a team selected collectively. Just about all of us had a couple of left-field selections, but as is the nature of those, they aren't going to be agreed upon.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Why be imaginative at the expense of choosing the best team. It has variety, great slip and overall fielders, the batting has attacking and anchor players, the bowling attack has raw pace, swing, reverse swing, accuratecy, rhb and lhb (med/fast and slow), cant think of a better 11.

If pushed probably Barry Richards for his speed of scoring and to add another slip catcher, but he just didnt play enough, other wise a slam dunk for me, or even Gavaskar, who was a slightly faster scorer than Hutton and also could add depth to the slips and if one wanted more speed or agression then Lillee, Ambrose, Trueman or Lindwall over Mcgrath. But over all, good team and we all selected it.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The "Official" CW XI :

Jack Hobbs (80.95)
Len Hutton (41.27)
Don Bradman (91.67)
Viv Richards (46.67)
Sachin Tendulkar (46.67)
Garry Sobers (71.43)
Adam Gilchrist (77.36)
Imran Khan (42.86)
Malcolm Marshall (74.07)
Shane Warne (45.24)
Glenn Mcgrath (33.30)
So despite people complaining about the other list, that side would have been (using the same criteria of two all rounders, two fast bowlers, one spinner, two openers, three middle order and one wk):

1. Hobbs
  2. Grace
  3. Bradman
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Richards
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Imran
  9. Warne
  10. Marshall
  11. McGrath

Jager

International Debutant
It's rather unfair to decry the orthodox nature of a team selected collectively. Just about all of us had a couple of left-field selections, but as is the nature of those, they aren't going to be agreed upon.
That's absolutely true, and I am not going to argue with democracy. This team is a collective effort, I was just pointing out that it is incredibly similar to Cricinfo's selections.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
And using the open format that some have been clamoring for the only difference there would have been would be Murali over Mcgrath, which would leave Sobers as your third fast bowler. Whch would annoy ikki to no end.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And using the open format that some have been clamoring for the only difference there would have been would be Murali over Mcgrath, which would leave Sobers as your third fast bowler. Whch would annoy ikki to no end.
Murali over McGrath and Hadlee over Tendulkar / Viv is what I'd expect.

watson

Banned
From memory this is the same team chosen as the ESPN Cricinfo panel last year except that Akram was preferred over McGrath. A better choice in my opinion as the presence of a left-armer gives his captain more variety and options with regards to worn areas on the pitch, batsmans inherent dislikes, swing through the air, etc.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its an awesome team so any fault that I find is going to be miniscule, but having 5 RH batsman and then 2 LH batsman is not the perfect balance. I love Lara (when your at an arcade no one looks at the best performed averages or most career points/runs, they look at the highest scores) so having him in the side and batting at 4 adds to the glamour of the team in my eyes.

I also feel as though Glenn McGrath is still very fresh in our minds. In future decades, I don't think he'll necessarily make the team..

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Kinda agree with you about the left handers, but Mcgrath's record is amazing. Btw, who do you drop for Lara/Pollock?

watson

Banned
Kinda agree with you about the left handers, but Mcgrath's record is amazing. Btw, who do you drop for Lara/Pollock?
I prefer my batsmen to be able to throttle a bowling attack if possible. So, to answer your question - Tendulkar makes way for either or Lara or Pollock. Especially if Lara has just been to see his sports psychologist and has had his weetbix for breakfast.

Thanks for also reminding me about Lillee being in that ESPN Cricinfo team. My gut feeling is that their attack of Marshall-Lillee-Akram-Warne-Sobers would be slightly stronger than our Marshall-Imran-McGrath-Warne-Sobers. But either battery would do me as a captain.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I prefer my batsmen to be able to throttle a bowling attack if possible. So, to answer your question - Tendulkar makes way for either or Lara or Pollock. Especially if Lara has just been to see his sports psychologist and has had his weetbix for breakfast.

Thanks for also reminding me about Lillee being in that ESPN Cricinfo team. My gut feeling is that their attack of Marshall-Lillee-Akram-Warne-Sobers would be slightly stronger than our Marshall-Imran-McGrath-Warne-Sobers. But either battery would do me as a captain.
Personally think that Wasim is extremly over rated, his numbers never matched his talent.

Jager

International Debutant
Personally think that Wasim is extremly over rated, his numbers never matched his talent.
Who would you take as your left arm fast bowler? Obviously Alan Davidson is a certain for me, but I am not sure how highly he is rated on CW.