• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW All-Time XI

watson

Banned
Akram and Davidson seem to be stand alones. Although some old timers might throw George Hirst into the mix.

Akram had the better strike rate (54.6 v 62.2) while Davidson has the better average (20.53 v 23.62). Indeed, 20.53 is superb.

Now we compare the types of pitches they bowled on - flat versus green - blah blah blah

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
But why do you need an lefty, and if you do, Sobers is good enough. Wasim took a disproportionate number of tail end wickets and even so his numbers were never that great. But when the old ball started to reverse he was a handfull.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I also feel as though Glenn McGrath is still very fresh in our minds. In future decades, I don't think he'll necessarily make the team..
I feel the exact opposite. I think future generations will consider him right up there alongside Marshall (if the current crop doesn't already). Impeccable skills and confidence in execution.

watson

Banned
But why do you need an lefty, and if you do, Sobers is good enough. Wasim took a disproportionate number of tail end wickets and even so his numbers were never that great. But when the old ball started to reverse he was a handfull.
Is Sobers good enough? I don't think that he anywhere near the class of Akram or Davidson.

We could just as easily say that because we have Kallis in the team we don't need McGrath. Both bowlers are right-armers with similar pace and bounce. That way we can play an extra express bowler like Thomson.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Akram and Davidson seem to be stand alones. Although some old timers might throw George Hirst into the mix.

Akram had the better strike rate (54.6 v 62.2) while Davidson has the better average (20.53 v 23.62). Indeed, 20.53 is superb.

Now we compare the types of pitches they bowled on - flat versus green - blah blah blah
Both were destructive number 8s. Davidson a superior fieldsman.

Very close, but I'd take Davidson in my AT XI any day (hence being my first-ever CW draft pick).

Jager

International Debutant
Both were destructive number 8s. Davidson a superior fieldsman.

Very close, but I'd take Davidson in my AT XI any day (hence being my first-ever CW draft pick).
I was really keen to pick him first too, I didn't expect him to be chosen before I could pick him. I rate him cleanly above Wasim as a bowler- perhaps Wasim's reverse swing made him more potent later in an innings, but Davidson's relentless accuracy gives him the edge. He was also known as "the claw", a nickname given to him by Keith Miller after he pulled in a particularly ridiculous close-field catch.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The only reason Mcgrath would slip is because of the perception of his speed. But he was a strike bowler of the highest class and he was a winner, as a key member of the all conquering Aussie side of the 00's. His successful parnership with Warne might also serve to keep him in the squad.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Don't know about Davidson but I would have Wasim in my all time XI. Could bat and is the greatest left-armer and brings so much variety to an attack with his reverse swing. Would be the main bowler on flat tracks.

Jager

International Debutant
Don't know about Davidson but I would have Wasim in my all time XI. Could bat and is the greatest left-armer and brings so much variety to an attack with his reverse swing. Would be the main bowler on flat tracks.
I disagree. He took a disproportionate amount of tail-end wickets and his overall bowling record is worse, albeit only by a little. Davidson had his most success on flat wickets and is known to have taken wickets with reverse swing, for example his wicket with his final ball of first class cricket- he bowled Sobers off his pads. Davidson took 44 wickets at 17.86 in the subcontinent (including his best bowling of 12/124 in India). Davidson was also a far superior fielder, and I would also argue a superior batsman.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Yeah and have you seen Davidson or are you just going with the stats? There has never been anyone who was better than Akram with reverse swing? And who exactly were the batting greats in the subcontinent that Davidson blew away? And Wasim is the only bowler I know to have swung the ball both ways in a single delivery. No one else has managed that feat.

Debris

International 12th Man
I feel the exact opposite. I think future generations will consider him right up there alongside Marshall (if the current crop doesn't already). Impeccable skills and confidence in execution.
Yep, people who have not seen him will judge him on his stats. And they are pretty much bullet-proof. I can't really think of any holes in his record which is a sign of class of the highest order, particularly when you consider the roads he bowled on much of the time.

Jager

International Debutant
Yeah and have you seen Davidson or are you just going with the stats? There has never been anyone who was better than Akram with reverse swing? And who exactly were the batting greats in the subcontinent that Davidson blew away? And Wasim is the only bowler I know to have swung the ball both ways in a single delivery. No one else has managed that feat.
Wasim is in my absolute highest tier of favourite players, as is Davidson, but I think the latter wins here. I have not seen either live, but I have watched footage of both. I love Akram's reverse and I think only Waqar was on his level, but Davidson's unnerving accuracy and tendancy to take the more important of wickets puts him just above. Moving the ball both ways in the air is impressive, but he did not do that consistently and it was not a wicket-machine like his reverse swing was. I will concede that Davidson was not blowing away all time great batsman, but I do know that only other 1 wicket (apart from his 12) fell from pace bowling in that entire match, Indian bowling included. It was nothing but a road, and his success shows his resourcefulness.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I disagree about McGrath. I don't think his status would diminish in the future. He truly is the greatest pace bowler ever.

watson

Banned
I disagree about McGrath. I don't think his status would diminish in the future. He truly is the greatest pace bowler ever.
It is impossible to nominate McGrath, Lillee or Lindwall as the greatest Australian pace bowler as all 3 were devastating to top orders on their day. But just as fallible when up against top class batsmen in prime form. I remember Lara's 226 (298 balls) against McGrath and Warne At Adelaide Oval in 2005. Indeed, the great thing about McGrath-Lara contests were their lack of stalemates. It was either kill or be killed.

The same can be said of Akram V Davidson. Very good cases could be made for either bowler being the greatest left-arm fast bowler of all time.

At the end of the day it all boils down to the temperment of the selector and what sort of team he or she wants to create. I like my players to be entertaining and flamboyant so I'm naturally going to gravitate to Lillee rather than McGrath, Lara rather than Tendulkar etc if stats can't separate them. Which indeed they can't.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Wasim has to be the greatest left arm fast bowler to have ever played.

btw IIRC even Dale Steyn has a lot of tail end wickets (cbf looking it up) but that doesn't mean he doesn't trouble the top order. And Zaheer Khan probably has more top order wickets than McG but that doesn't automatically make him better than McG