• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England 2012

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Schedule:

Sat May 5 - Mon May 7 (11.00 BST)
Sussex v West Indians (County Ground, Hove)

Thu May 10 - Sun May 13 (11.00 BST)
England Lions v West Indians (County Ground, Northampton)

Thu May 17 - Mon May 21 (11.00 BST)
1st Test - England v West Indies (Lord's)

Fri May 25 - Tue May 29 (11.00 BST)
2nd Test - England v West Indies (Trent Bridge)

Sat Jun 2 - Sun Jun 3 (11.00 BST)
Leicestershire v West Indians (Grace Road)

Thu Jun 7 - Mon Jun 11 (11.00 BST)
3rd Test - England v West Indies (Edgbaston)

Wed Jun 13 (10:45 BST)
Middlesex v West Indians (Lord's)

Sat Jun 16 (10:45 BST)
1st ODI - England v West Indies (The Rose Bowl)

Tue Jun 19 (10:45 BST)
2nd ODI - England v West Indies (Kennington Oval)

Fri Jun 22 (10:45 BST)
3rd ODI - England v West Indies (Headingley)

Sun Jun 24 (14:30 BST)
Only T20I - England v West Indies (Trent Bridge)

West Indies touring squad: Darren Sammy (capt); Kirk Edwards (vice-capt); Adrian Barath; Darren Bravo; Shivnarine Chanderpaul; Narsingh Deonarine; Fidel Edwards; Assad Fudadin; Shannon Gabriel; Kieran Powell; Kemar Roach; Denesh Ramdin; Ravi Rampaul; Marlon Samuels; Shane Shillingford

England Loins squad: James Taylor (Nottinghamshire) (capt); Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire); Jack Brooks (Northamptonshire); Michael Carberry (Hampshire); Matt Coles (Kent); Nick Compton (Somerset); Jade Dernbach (Surrey); Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire); Stuart Meaker (Surrey); Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire); Joe Root (Yorkshire); Ben Stokes (Durham)

---

Less than a week until the first tour game versus Mr z's chaps so I thought we were overdue a thread.

Hoping it'll be made official & stickied, but one doesn't like to presume.

Several talking points:

1) Who'll play #6 for England? Ravi looks to have the inside track, but one NRD Compton is holding his hand up. Stokes and Patel probably have their backers too.

2) Can Strauss and/or Bell buy a run and/or keep their places?

3) No Gayle, Bravo sr or Narine in the Windies' squad; is the IPL a calumny on test cricket's primacy?

uvelocity

International Coach
3) No Gayle, Bravo sr or Narine in the Windies' squad; is the IPL a calumny on test cricket's primacy?
Should be disallowed from playing in any domestic comp including IPL if unavailable for national selection except in the case of age based or injury based retirement. Or some other genuine reason ala the depression cases.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As I understand it players still need their chit stamped by their local board of control to take part in the IPL, so the WICB must've okayed them playing on some level.

I suppose it's a recognition of the direction the wind's blowing in; there's no way the Windies' can compete with an IPL salary and no point pretending otherwise. My personal opinion remains that it should have its own international window as it's a domestic comp in name only.

Samuels's presence in the squad noteworthy tho and not just because he's a matchfixing chucker (:ph34r:); he has a current IPL contract too, does he not? One fails to see how he's more crucial to the Windies' chances than the other trio.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think it has to do with the contract situation. WI have a small contract list, and some of those players missed out on them, or in Gayle's case the arguments he had with the board led to him not receiving one. They have to be contracted players for the board to hold primacy.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Narine likely wouldn't make the side, Bravo senior shouldn't make the side and Gayle's issues with the board are hardly limited to the IPL's conflict of interest.

Where is Lendl Simmons, though?

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Also, they seem to be taking this rule of "No West Indies cricketer can have the same first name" too far. Shannon? Really? It's too late Windies, you already have two Darrens in the side.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn, two back to back Tests and the majority of the third during my exam period. Bit annoying.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I'd love for Pollard to somehow swindle his way into the test team at some point. Mainly because the mental breakdown it would cause Howe would be mighty impressive.

Compton to get out for a single digit score in the Lions game, ruining any chance of him ever getting picked.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nah, good for him if he actually goes and becomes a good player. What irritates me to no end is how overrated he is in ODI/T20 based on some IPL swatting.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bopara really is in a lose-lose situation here. If he plays and does well, everyone will say that he's done well against WI in the past and it means nothing as he can't handle the pressure of better teams. If he does poorly, it's likely to be the end of his Test career, if he does play this series.

Windies were quite good in the series against Australia but the batsman Chanderpaul aside, don't have the best techniques imaginable to counteract England's very good attack. I'm not sure exactly where Samuels is going to fit into things as I would keep Deonarine, so Samuels might have to bat 3, and the vice captain Edwards will need to open.

I'm looking forward to watching Roach in England, I really hope he does well.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Nah, good for him if he actually goes and becomes a good player. What irritates me to no end is how overrated he is in ODI/T20 based on some IPL swatting.
I think his ODI performances against Australia showed that if he really puts his mind to it, he can be a good player, but yes, his impact is probably overvalued.

FBU

International Debutant
I reckon that this team would do a good job.

Gayle, Edwards, DMBravo, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Nash, Ramdin, JTaylor, Rampaul, Shillingford, Roach

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
But who captains that team?

Another point worth mentioning is that JTaylor hasn't played for some time isn't likely to so in the future either as far as I know.

also to tell the truth I'm no convinced Gayle would make much difference to the scoreboards in the Tet series either.