• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England 2012

Chubb

International Regular
So what did people think of Ottis Gibson's interview? Personally I'm a fan of discipline and effort, so I think he's got the right approach. That senior players can't work with that is their problem. But I'm sure other people would disagree.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So after Mystic Burgey told us yesterday that Sammy would ton up (near as done it) I await for today's gem. Well that or the lottery numbers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Judging one of them as better against the moving ball on the basis of a couple of innings is just silly imo.
Nah, sorry, don't agree. I'm old fashioned enough to generally prefer the evidence of my own eyes to statsguru & I think it's possible to tell from how a player moves, adjusts and plays his shots how well they're likely to handle a moving ball on pretty slim evidence.

I've no doubt players have been selected for their countries based on a couple of innings' viewing.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah, sorry, don't agree. I'm old fashioned enough to generally prefer the evidence of my own eyes to statsguru & I think it's possible to tell from how a player moves, adjusts and plays his shots how well they're likely to handle a moving ball on pretty slim evidence.

I've no doubt players have been selected for their countries based on a couple of innings' viewing.
I never said that stats trump visual judgement. I just said that a larger sample is needed than two innings, seeing as there's so many little random factors and nuances involved with playing of the moving ball.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's bloody difficult, so there's a large luck factor. A good player of swing and seam can get unlucky two innings in a row, and a mediocre one can get lucky those same two innings.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator

Hmm, the problem is that in the one innings you didn't see, he played the moving ball - and on without doubt the day where it's moved the most all series - with class and poise, playing it really late, being very confident in shot selection and off-stump location and being vicious on anything in his zone. Been a disappointment since, ofc.

Will be interested to see how Anderson and Broad (especially) back up, they looked fairly knackered last evening. EDIT: Hmm... barely pushing 80.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting that before play yesterday Bumble raised the stat that the Windies have never even lost a first class game at TB before.

Don't want to be too pessimistic but I suspect that's likely to continue. Pitch really looks dead.

Spark

Global Moderator
No deader than the pitches this attack bowled on in Dubai. I'd be more worried about the flatness of the attack backing up less than a week after bowling 60+ overs each than the pitch over 5 days.

Burgey

Meanwhile, the juggernaut stirs with the Eels up 12-4 approaching half time over he hapless Dragons.

flibbertyjibber

So basically we are waiting for the Sammy brainfart then we can blow away the tail before batting for 2 days on this flat featherbed.

Lack of intensity this morning from England is strange.

Burgey

So basically we are waiting for the Sammy brainfart then we can blow away the tail before batting for 2 days on this flat featherbed.

Lack of intensity this morning from England is strange.
I think it's been a thoroughly complacent effort from England since they had WI six-fer. Not that I necessarily blame them, as they were creating so many chances. But they've kind of mailed it in a bit, and these two blokes have made them pay for thinking they're a lot better than they actually are.

SeamUp

International Coach
It can get so frustrating when you see Sammy score the runs like he has and then you beat him with balls that are far too good or to make matters worse he edges them through the gap for four in the same over without having a clue! Like last night!

England better not think the Windies are just going to fall over and die! Need to keep composure.

Last edited: