• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England 2012

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yes, quite. Clearly a bloke that shouldn't be near Tests, but if he's getting on with it and improving than we've no right to slag him off for it.
And why shouldn't he be "near" tests? :blink: he got a lovely 80 in India and a 40 vs Australia in the warm up match and in the last test, he's only 22 and the more he plays the better he will get imo, in terms of raw talent many believe he may be better than Darren Bravo, the only difference is Darren is stronger mentally.

tooextracool

International Coach
Bopara was a luxury England could afford when they looked like the best team around. Now it's clear that they're not, and that they moreover have a seriously dodgy batting order which is way too dependent on tailend runs, I would have thought the first thing the selectors would have done is to own up to their most glaring mistakes and draft in Bairstow and Taylor for Bell and Bopara.
A fair amount of anti-Ian Bell sentiment lately, but I am a little curious as to hear more as to why? He's perhaps not done justice to his talent but it is still a little interesting to see how someone can go from being considered England's best batsman only a few months ago to not being worthy of a place in the side.

Howsie

International Captain
And why shouldn't he be "near" tests? :blink: he got a lovely 80 in India and a 40 vs Australia in the warm up match and in the last test, he's only 22 and the more he plays the better he will get imo, in terms of raw talent many believe he may be better than Darren Bravo, the only difference is Darren is stronger mentally.
Probably because prior to this game he'd only managed to score one first class 100 and barely averaged over 30. In saying that when your other options are players like Brathwaite than it probably explains a lot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interesting post. When you value a 40 you can sort of see the issue with the teams batting. I'm not certain that Darren Bravo is mentally stronger. Bravo is the most talented batsman the Windies have had since his famous cousin, but I haven't seen any signs that he's a mentally strong cricketer, he can become one though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the two teams named. Windies have to bring in Sammy and its hard to work out who wont play. I guess Shillingford might miss out with the pitch unlikely to benefit spin, hard decision, I would probably make Edwards 12th man, but can't see it happening.

I hope England pick James Taylor. I think he'll be perfect at 6 on debut.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Probably because prior to this game he'd only managed to score one first class 100 and barely averaged over 30. In saying that when your other options are players like Brathwaite than it probably explains a lot.
Braithwaite is actually a serious talent, he's just going through a poor run of form.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Braithwaite is actually a serious talent, he's just going through a poor run of form.
No he's not. He has no idea how to score runs against good bowling. It is painful and demoralising for the team to watch someone hang around for two hours and then get out for six, That kind of scoreboard pressure is actually what is most hampering the West Indies' batting. They'd be better off drafting in Pollard to open with Gayle.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
When he got into the WI senior team last year his FC average was around 43, plus he was doing well for the A-team, i understand what you say about the tons but honestly he's been one of those players who more often than not gets a start and may get 50 and above only to fall short of the ton, many players have had that issue and i hope this ton can lay that to rest, i remember Darren had the same problem for the test side before he made the breakthrough in Bang.

Howsie

International Captain
I know all about Braithwaite and his domination of junior cricket and the like. At the end of the day however he's a 19 year old that only has a first class average of 30 and a test one barely above 20, i.e. he's not very good right now. Him playing test cricket at the moment explains why someone like Powell would be playing test cricket right now also.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
No he's not. He has no idea how to score runs against good bowling. It is painful and demoralising for the team to watch someone hang around for two hours and then get out for six, That kind of scoreboard pressure is actually what is most hampering the West Indies' batting. They'd be better off drafting in Pollard to open with Gayle.
To be fair he's hit 50s against India, Bang and Australia and he's still only 19, yes he had a poor time of it towards the end of the Australia series but he'll be in the A-team that plays India in the next few months and he'll have a chance to work on things, if he realizes his potential i think he could be the next Shiv, his concentration skills are brilliant even at this early stage, he just needs to add more shots to his arsenal.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I know all about Braithwaite and his domination of junior cricket and the like. At the end of the day however he's a 19 year old that only has a first class average of 30 and a test one barely above 20, i.e. he's not very good right now. Him playing test cricket at the moment explains why someone like Powell would be playing test cricket right now also.
Darren Bravo's fc average was around 36 when he got called up to the test side, would you say that wasn't good enough aswell? :huh: at the end of the day it's about talent imo, and when you see Powell bat it's clear he's a class above when he's in full flow, i believe it's only a matter of time before he becomes a force and cements his place in this team for the long term.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Agreed to an extent, my point though is that he's definitely a talent he has the makings of a test quality player, unlike Powell.

No doubt that Pollard and Gayle should be playing test cricket

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow in. Onions, Finn and Bresnan going for the 3rd seamers spot.

I note Durham and Middlesex haven't a match next week, reckon Onions and Finn will just be there in case of injury and to show they're still in the selectors thinking.

Not displeased with Bairstow, kids a talent.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lol. Cricinfo has the squad as:

Squad Andrew Strauss (capt), Alastair Cook, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Ravi Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior (wk), Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Steven Finn, Graham Onions

:laugh:

Trying to jinx Bluey jr, IMHO.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I like how unlike in a few other sports, the England selectors pick the team that no one would really argue with.

It was pretty telling when Sky asked Ather's who he would pick out of Bres, Finn and Onions, he said it didn't matter.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
That's only really because, unlike in other sports, we've a strong team now. Always less blame to be had at the selectors.when their selections perform.

Even three years ago you'd have plenty of arguing.