• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did any of the Great bowlers of the past chuck?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He wouldn't have had to worry. According to the latest data, done on video taken on an etch-a-sketch, everyone chucked back then. Even people who were never tested.

Debris

International 12th Man
I believe there was some discussion about requiring everyone to wear a splint on their arm whilst bowling.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I believe there was some discussion about requiring everyone to wear a splint on their arm whilst bowling.
This would've kept everything in order I reckon:

Just out of interest, was the person who suggested a splint on the arm a shoulder surgeon with a bad debt to pay off?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Right, can we move on from Murali please.
Come on, if you're going to leave a thread like this open, you surely have to expect his name to crop up.

I'll concede my post which brought him up was facile and stupid, I don't for one second actually believe was a chucker ftr, but if I'm to cast my mind back to think about "great bowlers" over which there was considerable debate as to the "legitimacy of their bowling action", his name is the first that comes to me. I don't imagine I'm alone in that either.

Jager

International Debutant
If you look at his action in slow motion, it's surprising how much spin he gets. There doesn't seem to be a real 'rip' of the ball, it's more fluent instead.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Come on, if you're going to leave a thread like this open, you surely have to expect his name to crop up.

I'll concede my post which brought him up was facile and stupid, I don't for one second actually believe was a chucker ftr, but if I'm to cast my mind back to think about "great bowlers" over which there was considerable debate as to the "legitimacy of their bowling action", his name is the first that comes to me. I don't imagine I'm alone in that either.
Two reasons:

One, the major focus of this thread has been players of a much earlier vintage, the opening post specifically referring to players who a poster may have been too young to see.

Secondly, if people want to talk about whether or not they still believe that Murali throws the ball, or whether they disagree with the current definition of throwing, there are plenty of other threads that can be used to do that.

Right, second chance.