• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
We're not going to match the First XI's batting because we don't have Bradman or Sobers. So instead of trying to we can alternatively pick Miller and Barnes, so that what is lost to the First XI in the batting department is all but made up for with the bowling.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We're not going to match the First XI's batting because we don't have Bradman or Sobers. So instead of trying to we can alternatively pick Miller and Barnes, so that what is lost to the First XI in the batting department is all but made up for with the bowling.
Or Gilchrist...

That'd be good thinking as well. But the 4 frontline bowlers are going to be pretty even on both sides with that selection. The only real point second XI scores is Miller's bowling over Sobers. Is that enough to make up for the gulf in batting? I don't think so.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Alan Davidson.

Record speaks for itself - 20.53 is up there with the best. Economical, meticulous in his line and length, could bowl long spells and make valuable lower-order runs. Plus he was a very good fieldsman.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It's interesting looking at how we formulate these teams. When I'm selecting my All Time XIs, the last position I generally pick is the wicketkeeper. This may seem unfair or like I'm not giving 'keepers enough respect, but I find that once I've formulated the rest of the team, I can then make the call as to how strong a batsman my 'keeper needs to be. Note that I only pick 'keepers who I feel are good enough glovemen to belong in teams like this (so blokes like Walcott or Sanga are out), but I find that once I can see the balance of the team I am then in a better position to judge whether the side would benefit more from a Flower type (outstanding batsman, capable gloveman), an Ames type (good batsman, very good gloveman) or a Blackham/Evans type (passable batsman, magnificent gloveman). Something to consider, perhaps?

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's interesting looking at how we formulate these teams. When I'm selecting my All Time XIs, the last position I generally pick is the wicketkeeper. This may seem unfair or like I'm not giving 'keepers enough respect, but I find that once I've formulated the rest of the team, I can then make the call as to how strong a batsman my 'keeper needs to be. Note that I only pick 'keepers who I feel are good enough glovemen to belong in teams like this (so blokes like Walcott or Sanga are out), but I find that once I can see the balance of the team I am then in a better position to judge whether the side would benefit more from a Flower type (outstanding batsman, capable gloveman), an Ames type (good batsman, very good gloveman) or a Blackham/Evans type (passable batsman, magnificent gloveman). Something to consider, perhaps?
It is interesting, but the beauty of this exercise is we can change it up throughout the rounds. This round I started with the openers and keeper because they were the first ones that we had clear winners from the World XI. I think its made the last choices very difficult and you can tell by the varying ideas that its made it into a challenge. I also like the idea that Wasim Akram would start to attract more votes for balance reasons where it was clear a few bowlers were ahead of him in the pecking order.

BTW for the World B team, I'll start with the opening bowlers an opening batsman and will save the keeper for last.

Also if anyone wants to do a round, just let me know, I'll do the World B, but don't mind taking a break every now and then.

Jager

International Debutant
I'll gladly do a round or two whenever you feel like taking a break. Miller and Akram currently drawn on five votes each at the moment, too. What will we do if it is a draw?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah cool Jager I'll probably get you to do the World C team.

I've purposely not voted in this draft in anticipation that it would be a draw. If its a draw, I'll pick between the two.

Jager

International Debutant
Yeah cool Jager I'll probably get you to do the World C team.

I've purposely not voted in this draft in anticipation that it would be a draw. If its a draw, I'll pick between the two.
Alright sweet. On that note... please pick Miller!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It is interesting, but the beauty of this exercise is we can change it up throughout the rounds. This round I started with the openers and keeper because they were the first ones that we had clear winners from the World XI. I think its made the last choices very difficult and you can tell by the varying ideas that its made it into a challenge. I also like the idea that Wasim Akram would start to attract more votes for balance reasons where it was clear a few bowlers were ahead of him in the pecking order.

BTW for the World B team, I'll start with the opening bowlers an opening batsman and will save the keeper for last.

Also if anyone wants to do a round, just let me know, I'll do the World B, but don't mind taking a break every now and then.
Oh right mate, I didn't realise you were changing the voting order around for each team! That's a great idea. Ignore everything I said.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oh right mate, I didn't realise you were changing the voting order around for each team! That's a great idea. Ignore everything I said.
Yeah I think it's better to work out the order randomly as everyone will have a different preference and it keeps it more entertaining. Saving the keeper for later in the draft does have some positives, but I think you can build a different team around picking your keeper early too. I would have asked everyone to name the keeper early next round if not for your post.

Alright sweet. On that note... please pick Miller!
I might not get to vote this time, but I have some reservations about both Miller and Akram largely due to the unknown of who will fill the number 6 position. Some people have mentioned that this A side could potentially match the World team in some areas, I think if we get the balance wrong in these two selections, the World B team has a great chance of being as good as this team.

Jager

International Debutant
I might not get to vote this time, but I have some reservations about both Miller and Akram largely due to the unknown of who will fill the number 6 position. Some people have mentioned that this A side could potentially match the World team in some areas, I think if we get the balance wrong in these two selections, the World B team has a great chance of being as good as this team.
We can always fiddle around with the order once the players have been decided. Did we ever think about balancing aggressive batsmen with siege batsmen?

Jacknife

International Captain
Wasim Akram

Have moved away from my prior selection of Trueman, as I think Akram suits the make-up of the side a little better. Left armer, providing some rough for Murali to work into, and better suited to batting at 9, plus he still provides the wicket-taking, aggressive bowling that would complement Ambrose and Hadlee very well.
Yes I'll go with this.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does every one think.Walcot was a poor keeper. He was actually quite good with the gloves especially to the spinners. From all reports he was considerably better than Flower and Sanga. Just remember he stopped keeping because he got hurt not because hw wasn't effective.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
24 hours are now up so Wasim Akram makes the World A team ahead of Keith Miller by the narrowest of margins 6-5, I suspect mainly due to team balance. It really is an awesome attack now.

World A XI so far
1. S. Gavaskar
2. H. Sutcliffe
3. G. Headley
4. B. Lara
5. W. Hammond
6. ???
7. A. Knott
8. R. Hadlee
9. W. Akram
10. C. Ambrose
11. M. Muralitharan

Please select today:
1) Someone to fill the remaining slot in the World A XI.
2) Do we want to name captains for each team? (over 50% needed) If so, who is your World XI captain? I'll ask World A XI tomorrow if we go ahead with this.
3) Two opening bowlers for the World B XI

World XI 1 J Hobbs 2 L Hutton 3 D Bradman 4 V Richards 5 S Tendulkar 6 G Sobers 7 A Gilchrist 8 I Khan 9 S Warne 10 M Marshall 11 G McGrath

Fast bowling suggested shortlist
Neil Adcock, Shoaib Akhtar, Sydney Barnes, Alec Bedser, Ian Bishop, Ian Botham, Colin Croft, Alan Davidson, Kapil Dev, Allan Donald, Joel Garner, Wes Hall, Michael Holding, Harold Larwood, Dennis Lillee, Ray Lindwall, George Lohmann, Fazal Mahmood, Keith Miller, Shaun Pollock, Mike Procter, Andy Roberts, John Snow, Fred Spofforth, Brian Statham, Dale Steyn, Heath Streak, Frank Tyson, Fred Trueman, Charlie Turner, Chaminda Vaas, Courtney Walsh, Bob Willis, Waqar Younis

Disclaimer: If you want to pick the same player for questions 1 and 3 today go for it. If they are successful they will obviously go to the higher ranked team.

Jager

International Debutant
I think we're lacking batting depth, so as much as Miller deserves to have a spot in this team and would have negated Imran, I'll have to select Jaques Kallis for the number 6 position even though he doesn't bat there. Yes for selecting skippers.