• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Alright, so in this round we can basically just choose any two players and then we'll fit them into the side, but the general idea is that we absolutely need one extra bowler and then the next pick can be whatever we see fit?
Choose one player a bowler this round. We find out who has the most votes and then tomorrow we fill the last remaining spot. At this stage the last remaining spot is listed to come in at 6, while this spot does have to be a bowler of some sort.

Jager

International Debutant
Alright, for sure. I'll pick Keith Miller now because he's the finest bowling all-rounder that we have available. Perfectly suited to bowling at first change, plus he adds great depth to our batting order seeing as he was good enough to bat at 3 for Australia when asked (he spent most of his time at 5, I believe).

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
We have Gilchrist at 7 in the World XI and Knott at 7 for the A team.
The first team already has an advantage in the batting department that would only be strengthened if we played Miller at 6 in the A team. Miller and Knott are vastly inferior as batsmen to Sobers and Gilchrist. IMO we need a batsman/Kallis at 6 here and a bowler/bowling all-rounder at 9.

I can't decide whether to vote Miller or Barnes at 9.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wasim Akram

Have moved away from my prior selection of Trueman, as I think Akram suits the make-up of the side a little better. Left armer, providing some rough for Murali to work into, and better suited to batting at 9, plus he still provides the wicket-taking, aggressive bowling that would complement Ambrose and Hadlee very well.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I want Miller in this team so I'll vote for him now, even though I'd generally vote to bat him at 6.

Mike5181

International Captain
The first team already has an advantage in the batting department that would only be strengthened if we played Miller at 6 in the A team. Miller and Knott are vastly inferior as batsmen to Sobers and Gilchrist. IMO we need a batsman/Kallis at 6 here and a bowler/bowling all-rounder at 9.

Akram for number 9.

I'm thinking Kallis for number 6 in the next vote.

Jager

International Debutant

That's what I was getting at. I chose Miller here so the batting lineup is far stronger and then we can pick Kallis at 6. When we rearrange the batting lineup, Miller will surely bat at 7 and knock Knott back to 8.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Kallis is an interesting one as I think you could kind of build your World B (or ideally World C) team around him, while I think he'll look out of place in this lineup especially at number 6. He's not good enough to make one of the other 3 middle order batsman move down either. I guess that's a debate more for tomorrow and it will depend on who gets selected this round.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Official extra bowler vote tally
Last contributor: Jacknife

Akram: 6
Barnes: 1
Miller: 5
Davidson: 2

Also, could everyone please put their votes in italics or bold if their selections are in a piece of text? It makes it easier to count when I am double-checking.

Last edited:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Interesting choice here. Will go for Miller to bat at 7. Knott will make an impressive number 8

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Good point. So if we select Kallis and Miller, we end up with a similar bowling strength as the first XI. The batting is still going to be inferior with Bradman and Gilchrist leaving their counterparts far behind. Would have been a good idea to use Walcott or Sangakkara or Flower as wicket-keeper?

Jager

International Debutant
Good point. So if we select Kallis and Miller, we end up with a similar bowling strength as the first XI. The batting is still going to be inferior with Bradman and Gilchrist leaving their counterparts far behind. Would have been a good idea to use Walcott or Sangakkara or Flower as wicket-keeper?
Interesting. We have Hammond as a fifth bowler at this moment. In ITC, can you factor in wicketkeeping skill?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have to say I prefer the shortlist approach (with amendments as people suggest them) - less likely to miss someone in that scenario.

I'll go Davidson using Vic's reasoning but picking the better bowler.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Have to say I prefer the shortlist approach (with amendments as people suggest them) - less likely to miss someone in that scenario.

I'll go Davidson using Vic's reasoning but picking the better bowler.
Was a toss-up between the two for me, but thought that with Ambrose, Murali and Hadlee all very capable of keeping it tight, Davison plays too similar a role.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasim Akram (wanted Barnes but I think the tail may be a little long if I do pick him)

Last edited: