• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

Flametree

International 12th Man
Dempster
Hunte
Hassett
Bland
Hussey

still not happy at the Wardle exclusion, he could bat at no.8 too.

Given the make-up of the side, Mushtaq Mohammed must be a shoo-in for the number 6 position unless there's still a very good batting keeper around... has Macartney been picked yet?

Jager

International Debutant
Dempster
Hunte
Hassett
Bland
Hussey

still not happy at the Wardle exclusion, he could bat at no.8 too.

Given the make-up of the side, Mushtaq Mohammed must be a shoo-in for the number 6 position unless there's still a very good batting keeper around... has Macartney been picked yet?
He was picked a while ago actually, selected higher than I was expecting. I thought the Wardle decision might be a little controversial :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Stewie Dempster
Archie McLaren

Vijay Hazare
Lindsay Hassett
Colin Bland

Agreed that the exclusion of Wardle was harsh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't know much about what sort of bowler he was, but if you were looking for a spinner to get wickets and bat at 6, he's a great chance. I guess the key thing to work out is if his batting would suffer a bit by bowling more overs.

I don't like any attacks not going in with a spinner, I can't picture Bond, Thomson or Akhtar putting there hand up to bowl much during overs 50 to 80, so perhaps someone like Vinoo Mankad who was used to bowling more overs, could be an option. If Bangladesh were ever going to get a player in this exercise, this would be the best opportunity for Shakib too.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I don't know much about what sort of bowler he was, but if you were looking for a spinner to get wickets and bat at 6, he's a great chance. I guess the key thing to work out is if his batting would suffer a bit by bowling more overs.

I don't like any attacks not going in with a spinner, I can't picture Bond, Thomson or Akhtar putting there hand up to bowl much during overs 50 to 80, so perhaps someone like Vinoo Mankad who was used to bowling more overs, could be an option. If Bangladesh were ever going to get a player in this exercise, this would be the best opportunity for Shakib too.
At test level he was often only the second or third leggie in the team, behind Intikhab and Wasim Raja, despite having a much better average than both. But he did bowl the best part of 8000 overs in his first class career, only slightly fewer than Mankad.

watson

Banned
John Edrich & Roy Fredericks (I like the contrasting styles)

Richie Richardson (Solid first and second drop. Both excellent against fast bowling)
Colin Cowdrey
Maurice Leyland (Superb player of spin. The best player of Bill O'Reilly next to Bradman)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
At test level he was often only the second or third leggie in the team, behind Intikhab and Wasim Raja, despite having a much better average than both. But he did bowl the best part of 8000 overs in his first class career, only slightly fewer than Mankad.
Slightly fewer, but double the matches. Also, in Test Cricket the contrast is huge.

In saying that, I do agree he's a good option for this team. It will be interesting to see how this team is rated after we've finished the 16 teams.

Jager

International Debutant
Slightly fewer, but double the matches. Also, in Test Cricket the contrast is huge.

In saying that, I do agree he's a good option for this team. It will be interesting to see how this team is rated after we've finished the 16 teams.
Me too, glad it's going in a bit of an experimental direction, it's interesting. Nuf, do you know much about ITC?

Camo999

State 12th Man
Has sir learie Constantine appeared yet? Can't remember seeing him on the lists. If not would it be possible to add him into one of the short lists?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not meant in an offensive way Jager but I reckon you opted for Akhtar ahead of Wardle purely for the sake of novelty and having a different makeup. Makes far more sense to have Wardle.

Anwar
Dempster
Hassett
Jackson
Yousuf

Jager

International Debutant
Offense not taken, I think novelty is the wrong word though - probably more as a testing of the waters or an experiment, perhaps. If everyone is against it, I'll change it for sure.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Me too, glad it's going in a bit of an experimental direction, it's interesting. Nuf, do you know much about ITC?
Mate, the only ITC I know is investment tax credit.

Has sir learie Constantine appeared yet? Can't remember seeing him on the lists. If not would it be possible to add him into one of the short lists?
He hasn't appeared yet. Good idea to put him on the short list. I did look at him at one point.

Jager

International Debutant
I'll add Constantine to the all-rounder and fast bowler list, is that okay? Also, damn. I want to know if there's a variety of pitches in ITC or just the default one.