• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

Jager

International Debutant
If you had to choose one player from each team in order to make a squad, who would you pick to make the strongest side? (Bradman and Sobers excluded)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If you had to choose one player from each team in order to make a squad, who would you pick to make the strongest side? (Bradman and Sobers excluded)
Bill Ponsford (I)
WG Grace (C)
Ian Chappell (J)
Martin Crowe (H)
KS Ranjitsinhji (F)
Keith Miller (B)
Alan Knott (A)
Mike Procter (E)
Malcolm Marshall (World)
Alec Bedser (G)
Clarrie Grimmett (D)

12th Man: Fazal Mahmood (K)

Jager

International Debutant
Nice team rvd, mine is very different though, and I would imagine everyone else's would be too... it's hard to choose... my order of choice would be...

Hobbs, Hadlee, Miller, Davidson, Lindsay+, Harvey, Larwood, Tayfield, Kanhai, Ponsford, May, Paynter

1. Hobbs
2. Ponsford
3. Kanhai
4. May
5. Harvey
6. Lindsay+
7. Miller*
8. Hadlee
9. Davidson
10. Larwood
11. Tayfield

12. Paynter

Batting that runs very deep, five first-class bowling options, a mix of patience and aggression in the batting plus an attacking captain.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head I'll go with:

Sehwag, Merchant, Dravid, Tendulkar, Border*, Miandad, Waite+, P. Pollock, Davidson, Ambrose, Verity

This is a difficult question, and I might end up with a completely different XI some other day.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Hmm,

Some nice teams there. I'd go something like:

Ponsford (I)
Grace (C)
McCabe (G)
Lara (A)
Miandad (E)
Lloyd (F)
Healy (H)
Lindwall (D)
Warne (World)
Tyson (J)
Barnes (B)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't think Bradman is dispensable.

1. Greenidge
2. Sehwag
3. Bradman
4. Hammond
5. Ranji
6. Faulkner
7. Miller
8. Dujon
9. Underwood
10. Waqar
11. Donald

On this team - Alec Stewart & Tom Richardson

Last edited:

watson

Banned
B. Richards
Simpson
Kanhai
May (c)
AB de Villiers
Faulkner
Walcott (+)
Proctor
Hadlee
Marshall
Grimmett

3 great quicks, a fast leg-break bowler, a slow leg-break bowler, and a great captain. Goodbye opposing batmen.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Just an aside for the last side, selecting Stewart as a keeper lower down is bad, bad, bad. He was a below average glovesman, whose batting strengths were his opening ability. Poor pick for that role IMO.

I'd go Boucher for the keeper slot.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jack Russell behind the stumps

Douglas Jardine for the last spot - the idea of him and Woodfull in the same team is an appealing one

Jacknife

International Captain
Just an aside for the last side, selecting Stewart as a keeper lower down is bad, bad, bad. He was a below average glovesman, whose batting strengths were his opening ability. Poor pick for that role IMO.

I'd go Boucher for the keeper slot.
I'd say that Stewart was a average keeper, not a below average one.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed - Stewie didn't miss much, and I remember one tremendous catch he took standing up to Tufnell to get rid of Viv Richards that any keeper would be proud of