• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lara

Genius, and shown himself to basically hold superhuman qualities with the bat and raise his level to whatever he has to.

Pollock

Commanding, intimidating, and enormously effective.

Hammond

Ridiculous appetite for runs, brings a heap to the table for me as an all-round cricketer.

Jager

International Debutant
15 votes so far, Lara leads with 12, Hammond second with 10, whilst Pollock and Headley are neck and neck on 6 apiece. Still surprised so many people rate Hammond so highly, but then again, he bowled relatively effectively as well as being a superb slipper.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hammond was a superb all round cricketer as well in addition to being a top tier batsman.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Had no idea about Hammond's personal life either. I did read his cricinfo profile some years back but I don't think there was much mentioned about it at the time. Doesn't really change my opinion of him as a player though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
had no idea about hammond's personal life either. I did read his cricinfo profile some years back but i don't think there was much mentioned about it at the time. Doesn't really change my opinion of him as a player though.
awta.

Jager

International Debutant
Had no idea about Hammond's personal life either. I did read his cricinfo profile some years back but I don't think there was much mentioned about it at the time. Doesn't really change my opinion of him as a player though.
Apart from the on-field struggles that I have previously mentioned, I'd say his personal life and apparent character sours his legacy slightly to me, even if it is only by a small amount.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I generally rate Hammond highly because he would have been the best batsman of the immediate post-Hobbs era, were it not for Bradman.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Results
Brian Lara 17
Walter Hammond 16
George Headley 9

World A XI so far
1 S. Gavaskar
2 H. Sutcliffe
3 G. Headley
4 B. Lara
5 W. Hammond
7 A. Knott

Headley just beats Pollock for the final batting position (or is it). Now it's difficult to work out the batting order. I'll ask everyone what order they want later.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Please select two pace bowlers who you would like to share the new ball duties with. Also, select a spin bowler. After we've decided these 3 positions, we'll have a fourth bowling spot up for grabs who could end up being a bowling all rounder, genuine quick or spinner.

Pace Bowlers shortlist (McGrath and Marshall in the World XI)
Neil Adcock, Shoaib Akhtar, Curtly Ambrose, Wasim Akram, Sydney Barnes, Alec Bedser, Ian Bishop, Ian Botham, Alan Davidson, Kapil Dev, Allan Donald, Joel Garner, Richard Hadlee, Michael Holding, Harold Larwood, Ray Lindwall, Fazal Mahmood, Dennis Lillee, George Lohmann, Keith Miller, Shaun Pollock, Mike Procter, Andy Roberts, John Snow, Fred Spofforth, Brian Statham, Dale Steyn, Frank Tyson, Fred Trueman, Charlie Turner, Chaminda Vaas, Courtney Walsh, Bob Willis, Waqar Younis.

Spinners shortlist (Warne in the World XI)
Bishan Bedi, Richie Benaud, Bhajwath Chandrasekhar, Lance Gibbs, Clarrie Grimmett, Subhash Gupte, Anil Kumble, Jim Laker, Tony Lock, Stuart MacGill, Saqlain Mushtaq, Muttiah Muralitharan, Bill O’Reilly, Erapalli Prasanna, Abdul Qadir, Wilfred Rhodes, Graeme Swann, Hugh Tayfield, Derek Underwood, Hedley Verity.

1) Select 2 quicks
2) Select 1 spinner
3) Do we even want a spinner? For the people who answer this question, if 50% say no spinner, the third paceman will make the XI.