• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

L Trumper

State Regular
Trumper, Sutcliffe [A brilliant partnership to just imagine]

I am going with Ames over Knott [Ames was bradman of WKs in his time]

Jager

International Debutant

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
19 votes so far. It looks like we've got one opener through for sure but the second opener spot is tight. The keeper spot isn't a forgone conclusion either.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nice idea Nufan. I fear it could get really hard when picking after the first few teams though.

Sutcliffe & Gavaskar

Andy Flower

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Okay so the first two categories I'm going to include this time are opening batsman and the wicket keeper as it seems clear who has made the world XI team from kyears' polls.

The World XI opening batsman: Jack Hobbs and Len Hutton
The World XI wicket keeper: Adam Gilchrist

The World A XI opening batsman shortlist (select two)
Dennis Amiss, Saeed Anwar, Geoff Boycott, Sunil Gavaskar, Graham Gooch, WG Grace, Gordon Greenidge, Matthew Hayden, Desmond Haynes, Conrad Hunte, Sanath Jayasuriya, Archie McLaren, Bruce Mitchell, Hanif Mohammad, Arthur Morris, Bill Ponsford, Barry Richards, Virender Sehwag, Graeme Smith, Herbert Sutcliffe, Glenn Turner, Victor Trumper

The World A XI wicket keeper shortlist (select one)
Les Ames, Wasim Bari, Mark Boucher, Jeffrey Dujon, Farokh Engineer, Godfrey Evans, Andy Flower, Wally Grout, Ian Healy, Jackie Hendriks, Allan Knott, Rashid Latif, Rodney Marsh, Jack Russell, Kumar Sangakkara, Alec Stewart, Don Tallon, Clyde Walcott.

Please select two opening batsman and one wicket keeper. If you like, kindly mention some names that you feel deserve to be in the list when you make your selections. I don't necessarily agree that they are all of the best players in those positions, but I am certain that the 'World A XI' players should come from the lists above. I will keep this open for 48 hours at this stage and yes some players can feature in more than the one category.
I'll take Gavaskar and Sutcliffe as my openers.

I want John Waite to be my wicket keeper and since he isn't an option I refuse to vote at all.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
We'll give you Knott this time, but Blackham will be included on the keeper's list next time as will John Waite from South Africa.
I'll take Gavaskar and Sutcliffe as my openers.

I want John Waite to be my wicket keeper and since he isn't an option I refuse to vote at all.
No worries. Just in case you missed this post Waite will be included next time.

Just to note, if there is a player who is very popular and I forget to include them, I may add him for the round. If there is someone like Waite who is arguably better than some names on the list, but unlikely to actually win the round, they will not be included until the next round.

Basically any suggestion of players to add to the list is appreciated. For instance, next round I'm going to add Goddard and Barlow to the opening positions.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Openers

Gavaskar and Sutcliffe

Keeper

Andy Flower

Have to say Flower's keeping is a bit underrated here.

Jager

International Debutant
Anyone want a last minute vote? NUFAN and I are planning on wrapping this one up tonight as the voting has slowed right down.