• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

Jager

International Debutant
Let's get the D-Team going then.

1. Select two opening batsmen
2. Select two opening bowlers

Fast bowling suggested shortlist
Neil Adcock, Shoaib Akhtar, Alec Bedser, Ian Bishop, Colin Croft, Kapil Dev, Joel Garner, Wes Hall, Harold Larwood, Ray Lindwall, George Lohmann, Fazal Mahmood, Shaun Pollock, Mike Procter, Andy Roberts, John Snow, Fred Spofforth, Brian Statham, Dale Steyn, Heath Streak, Frank Tyson, Charlie Turner, Chaminda Vaas, Courtney Walsh, Bob Willis, Waqar Younis

Suggested opening batsman shortlist
Dennis Amiss, Saeed Anwar, Eddie Barlow, Trevor Goddard, Graham Gooch, Gordon Greenidge, Matthew Hayden, Desmond Haynes, Conrad Hunte, Sanath Jayasuriya, Bill Lawry, Archie McLaren, Vijay Merchant, Bruce Mitchell, Hanif Mohammad, Arthur Morris, Bill Ponsford, Virender Sehwag, Graeme Smith, Mark Taylor

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
There really isn't much between the last 3 sides that we've named at all!
And considering Bradman averaged 60.53 last time we ran an ATG sim, we could be on more level terms with the ATG side than we think.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Opening batsmen - I'll be the rebel and select 2 opening batsmen from outside the shortlist - Vijay Merchant, Bill Lawry
2. Opening bowlers - Courtney Walsh, Joel Garner

kingkallis

International Coach
Let's get the D-Team going then.

1. Select two opening batsmen
2. Select two opening bowlers

Fast bowling suggested shortlist
Neil Adcock, Shoaib Akhtar, Alec Bedser, Ian Bishop, Ian Botham, Colin Croft, Kapil Dev, Joel Garner, Wes Hall, Harold Larwood, Ray Lindwall, George Lohmann, Fazal Mahmood, Shaun Pollock, Mike Procter, Andy Roberts, John Snow, Fred Spofforth, Brian Statham, Dale Steyn, Heath Streak, Frank Tyson, Charlie Turner, Chaminda Vaas, Courtney Walsh, Bob Willis, Waqar Younis

Suggested opening batsman shortlist
Dennis Amiss, Saeed Anwar, Eddie Barlow, Trevor Goddard, Graham Gooch, Gordon Greenidge, Matthew Hayden, Desmond Haynes, Conrad Hunte, Sanath Jayasuriya, Archie McLaren, Bruce Mitchell, Hanif Mohammad, Arthur Morris, Bill Ponsford, Virender Sehwag, Graeme Smith, Mark Taylor
Errrrm, what this fat boy doing there?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gordon Greenidge

Been pushing for him for some time, fearsome player.

Graham Gooch

Equipped to take on good attacks, has a very good record against the WI attacks that he faced, who were no mugs.

John Snow

Brings a menace to the bowling attack, ruthless and efficient.

Andy Roberts

Lets make this attack even meaner. Leader of the West Indian attacks, set the path for their dominance, and capable of striking fear into batsmen.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And considering Bradman averaged 60.53 last time we ran an ATG sim, we could be on more level terms with the ATG side than we think.
My comment was made more with me imagining how different scenarios would play out between the A, B and C teams, not from a Sim perspective. I don't Bradman's average of 60 means anything, its just fun/random.

Opening batsman: Gordon Greenidge is well overdue. His partner is much more difficult. I'll go Matthew Hayden as he had such an impressive career opening the bat in one of the best teams of all time. He couldn't have done all that much more. I don't mind having two brutal openers as my likely number 3 is going to be patient.

Opening bowlers: I feel as though Waqar Younis and Joel Garner could work very well in tandem. Opposition tails would shudder especially seeing as though the Big Bird and Waqar are arguably the two best exponents of the yorker ever.

Jager

International Debutant
1. Opening batsmen - I'll be the rebel and select 2 opening batsmen from outside the shortlist - Vijay Merchant, Bill Lawry
2. Opening bowlers - Courtney Walsh, Joel Garner
Still got Botham in the shortlist for the bowlers. :)
Corrected the mistakes as soon as I realised! My selections are...

Opening batsmen
Vijay Merchant
Bruce Mitchell

Opening bowlers
Dale Steyn
Ray Lindwall

Everyone goes pale in front of Dale

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hayden
Ponsford

Pollock
Younis.

And if Vaas & Streak make the shortlist then Jimmeh definitely should.

Jager

International Debutant
Running tally
Last contributor: Vote closed

Openers
Merchant: 4
Lawry: 1
Greenidge: 14
Hayden: 8
Gooch: 3
Mitchell: 5
Ponsford: 2
Morris: 2
Hanif: 1

Bowlers
Walsh: 2
Garner: 9
Steyn: 4
Pollock: 3
Snow: 2
Roberts: 2
Waqar: 4
Lindwall: 10
Spofforth: 1
Larwood: 2
Bedser: 1

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
After checking out Merchant's record again, I switched my vote to him. He must have been exceptional.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
1) Gordon Greenidge and Mathew Hayden

2) Joel Garner and Waqar Younis

Think Pollock would be a good person to have as the 3rd seamer especially as he can bat a bit. Steyn unlucky to miss out by Waqar claims it with longevity.