• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

Jacknife

International Captain
Really surprised for the Barrington love considering Boycott is also in the 11 and they were not known for their attacking nature.
Don't have any problem having two such players in the side as long as you have more aggressive play-makers to play around them.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Barrington, S Waugh

What a tough middle order this will make. Assuming the number 6 position will have an attacking batsman.

Donald

I selected Bedser in the last round, however I like the idea of Holding and Donald teaming up together.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Javed Miandad and Steve Waugh fit the side superbly. Someone like Ponting batted better when the guy down the other end was not stone walling it, so I agree with kyear on this one re: Barrington.

Allan Donald I went for Donald last round and will continue to do so this time, narrowly ahead of Garner who I actually think normally looks better in teams as the first change bowler.

My number 6 is going to be an aggressive bat for sure.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Don't think we'd get away with only hving two quicks. If we were selecting a five-man attack with a seam-bowling allrounder to come on at first change I'd be more open to it. With Botham, Dev and Procter still to come I think the next XI ought to manage it.
If we end up going for a keeper who was an excellent batsman at 6, this side could afford having Botham at seven easily. His spark could be exactly what's needed.

Jager

International Debutant
Woah, what a comeback from Waugh- the last 6 voters yielded 4 votes for him out of his total of 6, earning him a place along with Barrington who earned 11. Donald was the clear winner out of the bowlers with 8 votes from memory.

Current lineup:
1. Geoff Boycott
2. W.G Grace
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Ken Barrington
5. Stephen Waugh
8. Davidson (1)
9. Holding (2)
10. Laker (4)
11. Donald (3)

A fantastic bowling lineup and an all-ashes top five.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
We now need to decide on our wicketkeeper and our final batsman.

1. Please vote for your preferred wicketkeeper
2. Please vote for your preferred extra batsman/all rounder

Suggested middle order list
Zaheer Abbas, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Ian Chappell, Denis Compton, Colin Cowdrey, Martin Crowe, Ted Dexter, Rahul Dravid, Andy Flower, David Gower, Neil Harvey, Lindsay Hassett, Vijay Hazare, Michael Hussey, Mahela Jayawardene, Majid Khan, Younus Khan, Rohan Kanhai, VVS Laxman, Clive Lloyd, Charlie Macartney, Peter May, Stan McCabe, Javed Miandad, Dudley Nourse, Norman O'Neill, Eddie Paynter, Kumar Sangakkara, Bert Sutcliffe, Inzamam ul-Haq, Clyde Walcott, Doug Walters, Everton Weekes, Frank Worrell, Mohammad Yousuf

Suggested wicketkeepers (made this up on the spot)
Jeffrey Dujon, Don Tallon, Ian Healy, Rod Marsh, Wally Grout, Jackie Hendricks, Andy Flower, Kumar Sangakkara, Godfrey Evans, Jack Blackham, John Waite, Denis Lindsay, Farohk Engineer

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Neil Harvey

Class fielder, brings a left hander into the team and will brighten up a somewhat staid middle order.

Denis Lindsay

Brings me a decent, full-time wicketkeeper with the capability of making scores for the team.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its a tough decision and on a different day I'm sure I would go a more conservative option

1) Clyde Walcott
2) Ian Botham

Oh, and can you change it to Stephen or Steve Waugh, Steven will annoy me :)

Jager

International Debutant
Its a tough decision and on a different day I'm sure I would go a more conservative option

1) Clyde Walcott
2) Ian Botham

Oh, and can you change it to Stephen or Steve Waugh, Steven will annoy me :)
Sure :laugh: also, could I get some feedback on whether this selection format is worth using next round? I am taking the next round too, right NUFAN?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah you can do the next one too if you like. I think the format is fine, but it has made it slightly hard today as we might get a slightly unusual balance as some people might select a different player to accompany say Walcott compared to if Tallon gets the keeper votes. All good, I generally prefer mixing it up a little, but up to you.

Please feel free to add a couple of players to the suggested lists whenever you remove a few players too. No real wrong answer, just add who you think is next best, I can suggest a few too if you like.

Jager

International Debutant
Please feel free to add a couple of players to the suggested lists whenever you remove a few players too. No real wrong answer, just add who you think is next best, I can suggest a few too if you like.
I will admit I am guilty of nearly assuming that Flower would be an automatic pick after he only just missed out last time, and sure, just chucked in about 10 names off the top of my head- Abbas, Cowdrey, Hussey, Majid, Paynter, O'Neill etc.