• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In my book, Miller is a better batsman than Botham overall.
I don't really know where I stand on it, probably agree, but on that proviso do you think the difference between the two is enough for one to be recognised as good enough to bat 6, and the other not?

Jager

International Debutant
I don't really know where I stand on it, probably agree, but on that proviso do you think the difference between the two is enough for one to be recognised as good enough to bat 6, and the other not?
I think Botham is good for batting at 6, whereas Miller can bat at 3, 4 or 5 and hold his own.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Oh, not in these teams of course, but in a normal team.
That's the context I was talking about. In a team like this, is there enough between their batting to say that one could bat at 6, and the other couldn't? I don't think there is.

At this stage of the exercise, I think they would both make a very effective no. 7, don't think a side would look balanced with them at 6.

Jager

International Debutant
That's the context I was talking about. In a team like this, is there enough between their batting to say that one could bat at 6, and the other couldn't? I don't think there is.

At this stage of the exercise, I think they would both make a very effective no. 7, don't think a side would look balanced with them at 6.
Yeah, I think 7 is perfect for them in this team, but I wouldn't argue too much should they bat at 6.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ken Barrington and Shaun Pollock.

Why no votes for S Pollock?

Wait. I know why.

Ken Barrington and Sydney Barnes.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprised at all the Barrington love, he was a stonewaller who played to keep his place in the team. Impressive record all the same though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Results

Allan Border wins the available batting spot receiving over half of the votes. He'll certainly add some fighting qualities to the attacking minded top order. Sydney Barnes narrowly defeats Frank Worrell, certainly two contrasting players. Barnes completes the all Ashes playing bowling attack. This World B attack is arguably superior to the World A attack.

World B XI
1 B Richards
2 V Trumper
3 G Chappell
4 G Pollock
5 A Border
6 Keeper or K Miller
7 K Miller or Keeper
8 D Lillee
9 F Trueman
10 B O'Reilly
11 S Barnes

Suggested wicket keepers
Les Ames, Wasim Bari, Jack Blackham, Mark Boucher, MS Dhoni, Jeffrey Dujon, Farokh Engineer Godfrey Evans, Andy Flower, Wally Grout, Ian Healy, Jackie Hendriks, Rodney Marsh, Matt Prior, Jack Russell, Kumar Sangakkara, Alec Stewart, Don Tallon, John Waite, Clyde Walcott.

1) Select a wicket keeper for the World B XI

My personal recommendation would be to not pick a poor performing batsman for the keeper spot. Our tail is quite weak really, so the keeper will need to be reasonable with the bat.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Les Ames

Tough selection to make considering this team is handicapped by having such a poor tail. This team cannot support one of the stronger keepers, however to select Flower, Sangakakkara or Walcott as a keeper for this bowling lineup would be a joke. Ames represents a good middle ground.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Clyde Walcott
As alluded to, need the keeper to be able to hold a bat. I don't think that Sangakkara, with the differential in his record as keeper and as batsman, can put his hands up to take the gloves. Ames, in spite of his mediocre record against the only decent competition at the time, and Flower had reasonable cases, but I'll go with a West Indian flavour and take on Walcott, who from all reports was a legitimate keeper and gave it up due to injury, and was high quality in both disciplines.

Last edited: