• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

Jager

International Debutant
Akram over Miller? Is it too late to give Keith a vote?
You'll probably have to ask NUFAN this round about that, not sure. My guess is it's probably too late seeing as we're voting for another slot expecting Wasim at 8/9, if that changed things might be different.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its weird though having Kallis at 4 and making the two batsman who received the most votes for the 3-5 positions to bat at 5 and 6.
Well being honest people voted for the 3-5 positions based on who the best middle order batsmen were. Not the best #3, #4 and #5. A bit like if we'd picked Miller for the #9 spot. He'd bat ahead of Hadlee. Get the XI players picked and then sort out the batting order after IMO. There can be flexibility.

Anyway

Kallis
Yes, Bradman
Barnes & Trueman

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Akram over Miller? Is it too late to give Keith a vote?
Its too late, that position has ended. You can vote for Miller to take the number 6 position if you like though.

Well being honest people voted for the 3-5 positions based on who the best middle order batsmen were. Not the best #3, #4 and #5. A bit like if we'd picked Miller for the #9 spot. He'd bat ahead of Hadlee. Get the XI players picked and then sort out the batting order after IMO. There can be flexibility.
Hmm did they? I know some voted for Kallis during the voting, I'm surprised that more people didn't pick him during the 3-5 positions knowing that we'd still be doing someone at 6 still. I don't mind the flexibility aspect, I suspect the World B team will be flexible as there are some awesome all rounders who probably deserve a spot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Voting is over and once again it was very tight. I wasn't going to vote, but I did say that if the player I vote for ends up being even, the other player wins, and that's exactly what's happened.

Results
1) Jacques Kallis edges out Pollock with weldone's last minute vote being the difference.
2) We will do captains, but I get the feeling that naming them at the end is probably the best idea.
3) Dennis Lillee and Fred Trueman are our World B quicks. If you don't include my vote for Trueman, he and Barnes are level on 8 (with Lillee 9). So if I had the deciding vote Trueman moves to 9, DKL 10.

World XI
1 J Hobbs 2 L Hutton 3 D Bradman 4 V Richards 5 S Tendulkar 6 G Sobers 7 A Gilchrist 8 I Khan 9 S Warne 10 M Marshall 11 G McGrath

World A XI
1. S. Gavaskar
2. H. Sutcliffe
3. G. Headley
4. B. Lara
5. W. Hammond
6. J. Kallis
7. A. Knott
8. R. Hadlee
9. W. Akram
10. C. Ambrose
11. M. Muralitharan

World B XI
1 xx 2 xx 3 xx 4 xx 5 xx 6 xx 7 xx 8 xx 9 D Lillee 10 F Trueman 11 xx

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1) What should the batting order be for the World XI?
2) What should the batting order be for the World A XI?
3) Name two opening batsman for the World B team.
4) Name an all rounder.

Suggested opening batsman shortlist
Dennis Amiss, Saeed Anwar, Eddie Barlow, Geoff Boycott, Trevor Goddard, Graham Gooch, WG Grace, Gordon Greenidge, Matthew Hayden, Desmond Haynes, Conrad Hunte, Sanath Jayasuriya, Archie McLaren, Bruce Mitchell, Hanif Mohammad, Arthur Morris, Bill Ponsford, Barry Richards, Virender Sehwag, Graeme Smith, Victor Trumper

Suggested all rounders
Shakib Al Hasan, Billy Bates, Ian Botham, Chris Cairns, Kapil Dev, Aubrey Faulkner, Andrew Flintoff, Trevor Goodard, Vinoo Mankad, Keith Miller, Monty Noble, Shaun Pollock, Wilfred Rhodes, Maurice Tate.

I've probably forgotten someone obvious in the all rounders list, but I can't see someone not listed get enough votes.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
1) 1 J Hobbs 2 L Hutton 3 D Bradman 4 S Tendulkar 5 V Richards 6 G Sobers 7 A Gilchrist 8 I Khan 9 S Warne 10 M Marshall 11 G McGrath
2) The order you have is fine by me.
3) Boycott and Grace
4) Keith Miller

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
For the first team, I like it as named. Tendulkar splitting up Richards from the lower middle order of Sobers and Gilchrist; think Richards/Sobers/Gilchrist is a bit "all one way", and Tendulkar, while no shrinking violet, sums up situations so well that he'd be perfect to act as a foil, or get in on the act. This does go against where I think they, as individual batsmen, are probably better suited; Viv did end up at 5 towards the end of his career. Sobers did a lot of batting at 6 too, IIRC.

4. Hammond
5. Lara
6. Kallis

Basically in order of best-to-worst, plus Lara's game changing ability is still high enough to plunder large scores, and bat with the tail and be destructive. Kallis provides a type of consistency to bat with the lower order as well, and with Akram and Hadlee both preferring to go hard, there's no issues with scoring rates down in the lower order.

Gordon Greenidge
Swashbuckling, and as well prepared to face and counterattack against pace as anyone in history.

Barry Richards
Touch of genius at the top of the order, a player of his class can help elevate this side to being very competitive against those above it. Some would argue that he is the best player out of all the openers selected thus far.

Keith Miller
I tossed up between him and Botham. Tomorrow it might've been Botham. I am happy for my all-rounder to bat at 7 in this team, as I think we'll see a Flower or Sangakkara selected in this side now, and that will free up number 7 for someone who can contribute with bat and ball without throwing the side too out of balance.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
1) What should the batting order be for the World XI?

Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Tendulkar, Sobers, Richards, Gilchrist, Imran, Marshall, Warne, McGrath

2) What should the batting order be for the World A XI?

Gavaskar, Sutcliffe, Headley, Hammond, Lara, Kallis, Knott, Hadlee, Wasim, Murali, Ambrose

3) Name two opening batsman for the World B team.

Trumper and Richards

4) Name an all rounder.

Keith Miller

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Hutton, Hobbs, Bradman, Tendulkar, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Warne, Marshall, McGrath
2. Sutcliffe, Gavaskar, Kallis, Lara, Hammond, Headley, Knott, Hadlee, Wasim, Ambrose, Muralitharan
3. Barry Richards, Geoff Boycott
4. Keith Miller

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Changed my vote for the all-rounder slot from Faulkner to Miller. I forgot that Miller hadn't made a team yet.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really enjoying this, btw, NUFAN.
Awesome. We seem to have a good dedicated group who are keen at the moment, so its fun and interesting to do.

For the record, I agree with you Vic that Hammond should be ahead of Lara. I forgot to change it when Kallis beat out Pollock for the sixth batting spot, so Hammonds bowling is a non factor so he can be the main man at 4 IMO.

Hopefully it doesn't get too messy working out which batting order is the most popular!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
At the risk of having my username changed to NUFikki, I think I've worked out what I don't like about the World A XI. :p

I really think that if we make good choices, this B team could potentially be as good as the A team. It already looks formidable with Lillee and Trueman sharing the new ball.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
1. Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, Gilchrist, Khan, Warne, Marshall, Mcgrath

2. Gavaskar, Sutcliffe, Headley, Hammond, Lara, Kallis, Knott, Hadlee, Akram, Murali, Ambrose

3. Victor Trumper and Barry Richards

4. Keith Miller