• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If it turns out a tie between my player and another, the other player will win. I just feel like voting.

1) Graeme Pollock
2) Yes, Don Bradman
3) Fred Trueman and Dennis Lillee

Jager

International Debutant
Final slot vote count
Last contributor: Jacknife

Kallis: 6
Miller: 2
Pollock: 7

Third team opening bowlers vote count

Barnes: 7
Lillee: 10
Trueman: 9
Garner: 2
Donald: 2

I voted Trueman and Garner.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
G Pollock

I think that the side has enough bowling, Murali capable of long spells, Hammond bowling handy mediums. So I'll take one of the best left handers of all time to strengthen the batting line-up and give the team enough runs to play with.

Nah, don't worry about the captaincy at this stage. Maybe at the end.

As for the World B team...

Lillee

A man with enough tools to ruin the best of batting line-ups, he is capable of making this team competitive against the teams already chosen.

Trueman

Outstanding strike rate, and in combination with Lillee will form a fearsome opening attack. Will worry about steadier options (probably Davidson) later on.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Graeme Pollock fro the number 6 position.

No, we can decide on captains later

Lillee and Barnes to open the bowling for the next team

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking Faulkner as Hammond already gives us fast medium, but with Sobers at 6 for the other squad we need the extra batter and bowling security blanket.
Denis Lillee and Fred Trueman as both should have been in the previous 11.
Captaincy yes. Tough one though. Should deal with after. Viv, Imran, Sobers and Bradman all worthy.

Jager

International Debutant
Okay I will add it on! By the way, does anyone know why Smali got banned/is it permanent?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Smali is banned for a week. I don't know why exactly he got banned but it will be good when he comes back..

Just a question for the people picking Kallis - Do you see him moving up the order or are you happy with him coming in at six behind a quality top order? Also, how many overs do you think Kallis would get through in a normal 90 over day with Hadlee, Ambrose, Wasim and Murali already in the attack?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Smali is banned for a week. I don't know why exactly he got banned but it will be good when he comes back..

Just a question for the people picking Kallis - Do you see him moving up the order or are you happy with him coming in at six behind a quality top order? Also, how many overs do you think Kallis would get through in a normal 90 over day with Hadlee, Ambrose, Wasim and Murali already in the attack?
As I had said he would just be the bolwing security blanket just in case, he can aso better shepherd the tail and would join Lara and Hammond in the slips to form the greatest cordon EVER.

Jager

International Debutant
As I had said he would just be the bolwing security blanket just in case, he can aso better shepherd the tail and would join Lara and Hammond in the slips to form the greatest cordon EVER.
You're right about his slipping, he is so reliable- was Lara any good? I have no recollection of him fielding since I wasn't interested in cricket back then. In response to NUFAN- I think Kallis should go at 4, Hammond 5 and Lara 6, but that's just me and will probably be wrong in the eyes of many others :sleep:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
My recollection of Lara in the slips was of him being pretty good, without being great. A more agile Warne, maybe not quite as safe with the simple ones though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its weird though having Kallis at 4 and making the two batsman who received the most votes for the 3-5 positions to bat at 5 and 6.

Kyear, I thought Hammond could be the security blanket. Hadlee and Murali in particular were often bowling lots of overs in a day and Ambrose and Akram were quality, so I think the fifth bowler would be lucky to get through 5-6 overs in a day.

I'll definitely agree with you on Kallis catching ability, very safe pair of hands.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara was exceptional in the slips, very safe. When we had Hooper, Lara and Richardson in the slips it was the best cordon I have seen, on par with Taylor, Waugh and Warne. Lara did slip a bit very late in his career, but only then.

Jager

International Debutant
I can honestly not recall him dropping one in my short time watching the game. Either way, both of them are excellent batsmen so the difference is probably marginal, except that Kallis is more defensive. Is there much pitch variation on ITC?