Thread: Wicketkeeping as one rises through the levels

State Vice-Captain

Wicketkeeping as one rises through the levels

We talk about there being a big step up in competition while one rises through the levels, be it as a bowler or a batsman. Understandable too, considering the two disciplines are at direct opposition to each other. But what of wicketkeeping? I would assume the parameters for keeping, by and large, stay constant. There can't be much of a difference in standing up or back between cricket levels, since keeping is more a function of one's technique/stamina and general extraneous factors like weather, pitch conditions, mental pressure (?) rather than bowling or batting prowess.

Somewhat similar to umpiring even, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    We talk about there being a big step up in competition while one rises through the levels, be it as a bowler or a batsman. Understandable too, considering the two disciplines are at direct opposition to each other. But what of wicketkeeping? I would assume the parameters for keeping, by and large, stay constant. There can't be much of a difference in standing up or back between cricket levels, since keeping is more a function of one's technique/stamina and general extraneous factors like weather, pitch conditions, mental pressure (?) rather than bowling or batting prowess.

Somewhat similar to umpiring even, then?
    Isn't that the concept of test cricket?
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

In some ways, it can be a sterner test of keeping at lower levels, because there are more bowlers you can stand up to. I mean, you'll never stand up to James Pattinson or Peter Siddle, but you can find yourself up to the stumps to Andrew McDonald, or any number of grade bowlers.

One thing is that the higher up you are, the greater the emphasis on footwork; you'll be further back so you need to be able to cover a greater amount of ground. The other difference that makes keeping harder is wearing wickets, the fact that you're playing on pitches that are five days old is something that you don't have to deal with at FC level to the same extent, and something that you certainly very rarely come across (wearing wickets) at lower levels than that.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In some ways, it can be a sterner test of keeping at lower levels, because there are more bowlers you can stand up to. I mean, you'll never stand up to James Pattinson or Peter Siddle, but you can find yourself up to the stumps to Andrew McDonald, or any number of grade bowlers.

One thing is that the higher up you are, the greater the emphasis on footwork; you'll be further back so you need to be able to cover a greater amount of ground. The other difference that makes keeping harder is wearing wickets, the fact that you're playing on pitches that are five days old is something that you don't have to deal with at FC level to the same extent, and something that you certainly very rarely come across (wearing wickets) at lower levels than that.
    I think that is a good answer for grade vs FC vs Tests and I can't add to it..

In terms of low level cricket vs Premier Grade/1st Grade cricket.

I think the biggest difference would be who your expected to stand up to the stumps for. I would expect in top club cricket that you would need to stand up to 125Kms bowling. While you would only go up to spinners in lower levels.

I would also expect my Keeper in top club cricket to lead the vocals on the field. While he could be as quiet as a church mouse for my team.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    The higher you go, the more likely the 'keeper is to become a highly strategic role on the field.

In park cricket, you'll generally stand up for spinners and slow-meds, and back for med-fasts and outright quicks. It doesn't matter if a batsman's moving around the crease, coming down the pitch or dragging his back foot - even if the 'keeper comes up he'll rarely be good enough at that level to take advantage of mistakes off medium-fast bowling.

Plus the byes conceded undoubtedly wouldn't be worth it.

At grade or FC level, a wicketkeeper has to be able to be up to the stumps, if required, for bowlers ~130km, and have to be able to take advantage of all those little things.

It would be even more difficult in ODI/T20 matches at any level, as the lack of slips the higher (and later) you go means the wicketkeeper then has even more ground to cover.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Thread Information