• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar in line for nomination to Parliament

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Indian government has recommended Sachin Tendulkar's name for nomination to the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of Parliament, ESPNcricinfo has learnt. Tendulkar met the Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday and was offered a seat in the upper house's nominated category. He is understood to have accepted the offer and his name has now gone from the prime minister's office to the home ministry; it will then go to the office of the President, who formally names the candidate.

Sachin Tendulkar in line for nomination to Parliament | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Sachin Tendulkar accepts Rajya Sabha nomination - India - DNA

itstl

Spark

Global Moderator
Odd given he's still playing, but from the looks of that article, seems a bit of a ceremonial role in the mold of Aus Of The Year rather than an actual political job?

Spark

Global Moderator
Couldn't care less either way tbh regardless of whether this is political or just ceremonial. He's perfectly entitled to run for office if he likes, though I guess I'd be a bit worried if I was an Indian cricket fan on how this will affect his career.

indiaholic

International Captain
A ceremonial post. But i guess there will be some expectation that he attends at least a few sessions. Would have been better if this came after his retirement IMO.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The Rajya Sabha is the upper house of parliament. It'll be a ceremonial post, if it goes through.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It's not a completely ceremonial post tbf. He still has to vote on important legislations in the Rajya Sabha if it goes that far and with the govt not having a majority every member is crucial right now.

He met the PM and Sonia Gandhi today and is being nominated by the Congress government, so will be interesting to see whether he joins a party or not. Hope he doesn't though like most of the nominated members in history. Out of 119 nominated in history only 17 have accepted a party whip inlcuding Hema Malini and Mani Shankar Aiyar etc....

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Couldn't care less either way tbh regardless of whether this is political or just ceremonial. He's perfectly entitled to run for office if he likes, though I guess I'd be a bit worried if I was an Indian cricket fan on how this will affect his career.
Yeah, hope it doesn't affect his career too much. From what i can gather though, is that his term would start later on this year, and the Vice President can given him special dispensation to skip sessions if need be.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Politics is for ****s so I hope Tendulkar is sensible enough to stay away from it.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The thing is though, the easiest way to be apolitical as a celebrity is to acquiesce and 'be political', if you get what I mean. If Tendulkar declined, perhaps it would have been considered in some quarters as a slight to the ruling party. Indian politicians are touchy just like that.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
The thing is though, the easiest way to be apolitical as a celebrity is to acquiesce and 'be political', if you get what I mean. If Tendulkar declined, perhaps it would have been considered in some quarters as a slight to the ruling party. Indian politicians are touchy just like that.
haha......awta

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but i am sure they would have mooted the idea a while back privately.
Anyways, he can still be apolitical in a party sense and still be a Rajya Sabha member. The nomination of 15 eminent persons was kept for this reason and to help them in raising issues regarding their field of prominence and about 30 % of those nominated atleast have been that way.

Btw, Rekha will raise the bar and the glamour quotient in parliament. :p

Last edited: