• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar in line for nomination to Parliament

Straight Drive

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't like this much. Congress has positioned itself to milk Sachin's popularity, and Sachin is happy to milk everything that comes his way.

It's not entirely ceremonial, he will have the power to vote on bills. If he is serious about politics then I can't really see him do much justice to this role with his poor leadership skills and squeaky voice ( and he can't have any media embargoes). If he is not serious then he is just wasting a seat which could go to a much deserving candidate who is going to make some effort instead of just treating it as retirement annuity.

And all this while he is still playing? Now he will have more political backing to not retire from cricket.

Teja.

Global Moderator
smalishah84 said:
what's wrong with a good bloke joining politics
Nothing. It's just that if the standard for the Indian public for a viable political representative is 'good bloke' then it says a lot about the current politicians. Again, I'm not saying they've voted him in as he has been nominated but I'm taking about reactions as I referenced to earlier.

Jono said:
Where has the phrase "good bloke" even been used in this discussion?
Apologies, I thought I made it abundantly clear in that post that I was not referring to CW's reaction. I was referring to general populace's reaction which seems to be "Oh well, at least we know he's not a corrupt **** and has a nice heart as opposed to pretty much everybody else."

The President has had powers to nominate eminent personalities to the Upper House ever since the constitution was drafted. Presidents have regularly made use of this power vested in them. You're studying the law, FFS. Were you unaware of this provision until now?
No. I was quite obviously aware of the President's ability to nominate eminent personalities by virtue of studying it for about five consecutive years between 6th-10th grade. I was basically critiquing the entire concept using my personal idealistic normative impositions about what a people's representative should be.

The legislative intent of Article 80(3) is not to ceremonially honour eminent personalities as a recognition of achievement. The most common consensus about this incident seems to be exactly that. It is so that people, by virtue of their "special knowledge or practical experience" in certain areas - where sport is not mentioned, ftr, and art is, so I'm assuming cricket is implicit from art - help in the running of the country in a specialized manner. The way it has been used as a feel-good title of achievement is something that has sickened me for a while.

My ire is not with this Tendulkar or this incident. I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

My ire is with what politics is and what I think it should be.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Mark my words, we're all going to be worshiping that Satya Sai Baba fraud ten years from now. This is set to become some Orwellian parody, just you watch.

Last edited:

Lurker100

Cricket Spectator
Mark my words, we're all going to be worshiping that Satya Sai Baba fraud ten years from now. This is set to become some Orwellian parody, just you watch.
:laugh:

If being a follower of the "god man" is an issue, no Indian cricketer can enter politics.

Just a couple of examples.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
man, I used to be scared of him as a kid. They used to put up his picture frame in a lot of Udipi hotels in Bombay. Then when I had long hair for a few years, I took to scaring random children on the streets pretending to be him.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No. I was quite obviously aware of the President's ability to nominate eminent personalities by virtue of studying it for about five consecutive years between 6th-10th grade. I was basically critiquing the entire concept using my personal idealistic normative impositions about what a people's representative should be.

The legislative intent of Article 80(3) is not to ceremonially honour eminent personalities as a recognition of achievement. The most common consensus about this incident seems to be exactly that. It is so that people, by virtue of their "special knowledge or practical experience" in certain areas - where sport is not mentioned, ftr, and art is, so I'm assuming cricket is implicit from art - help in the running of the country in a specialized manner. The way it has been used as a feel-good title of achievement is something that has sickened me for a while.

My ire is not with this Tendulkar or this incident. I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

My ire is with what politics is and what I think it should be.
Then why talk about it as if it were a new low the people of the country had reached when it's been a practice for yonks?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the ****er is dead, no doubt 10 other ****ers will spring up claiming to be his next 'avatar'...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
:laugh: Be so funny if he all he intended to do was to work his way into a position from which he could rein in the BCCI.