• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar in line for nomination to Parliament

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
There's also the fact that Sachin's unlikely to go into commentary or broadcasting in general post retirement. And I can't see him being a full fledged coach either. So he needs something to do, maybe this is what he's picked.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly. Sachin just isn't going to be involved in cricket when he retires.

That being said he may never retire tbf :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
There seems to be some suggestion this is a ceremonial/ symbolic position. Is that the case?
It very much is, IMO. India's system is based on the Westminster model, and the Rajya Sabha is roughly equivalent to the House of Lords. Cevno disagrees, but there are non-politico nominations made to the House all the time.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If its the equivalent to the House of Lords then this isn't that big a deal I'd have thought.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yeah exactly. Sachin just isn't going to be involved in cricket when he retires.

That being said he may never retire tbf :ph34r:
Speaking of immortality, I'm just having 'The Man From Earth' buffered. You should watch it if you're inclined towards very off-kilter sci-fi.

Sachin strikes me as being a fairly simple minded sort. I wouldn't presume to second guess him (but I'm doing it anyway) but I doubt he has a very nuanced view of the world around. Not surprising either, he's hardly had a life outside the game.

smash84

The Tiger King
I've done lots of charity work too mate. It's pretty different to being a political activist. My point was this seems to have come out of the blue to a lot of people who stalk/ follow him a lot more closely than I do. I suspect even Harsha Bhogle may have been surprised, and I get the impression Harsha regularly goes through Sachin's rubbish bins..
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

btw if that **** Azhar is an MP in the lower house of Parliament then Tendy should definitely apply for office.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It very much is, IMO. India's system is based on the Westminster model, and the Rajya Sabha is roughly equivalent to the House of Lords. Cevno disagrees, but there are non-politico nominations made to the House all the time.
I don't disagree with that. Rajya Sabha is indeed the equivalent of house of lords with some differences.

What i was saying though was he still has a vote on all important legislations and currently with the fractured state of Rajya Sabha (where every bill has to pass after/before Lok Sabha), every vote is crucial. For example - All the nominated members also get a vote on the Lokpal bill, when it comes up.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If its the equivalent to the House of Lords then this isn't that big a deal I'd have thought.
Yeah, he is a nominated member by the president in the upper house so, not a active politician as such in a party sense.He can't even take a cabinet seat with this post, even if he wants too or the govt. wants him too.

Rajya Sabha in India is supposed to be the Council of States, where people elected by state assemblies go. Every bill has to pass through both Lok Sabha (house of the people) and Rajya Sabha though.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Also re: Dravid going into politics, would rather for the time being by some miracle he get in charge of Karnataka and then Indian cricket and rescue it from its mess.

Wishful thinking I know.
Kumble runs the Karnataka Cricket Association right now with Srinath as his secretary and Venky Prasad in some post too,

Ganguly is probably the most ideal to get into active politics. Doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, speaking out and leading. Also known for playing politics beforehand too.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couldn't care less either way tbh regardless of whether this is political or just ceremonial. He's perfectly entitled to run for office if he likes, though I guess I'd be a bit worried if I was an Indian cricket fan on how this will affect his career.
His career? He's nearly 40 ffs :p He'll only be playing for another 1-2 years tops surely

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kumble runs the Karnataka Cricket Association right now with Srinath as his secretary and Venky Prasad in some post too
Dravid is involved too I believe, and is going to up his role now that he's retired. Pretty sure that was always the plan.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I've just come back after writing an exam after an all nighter and I'm about to sleep so I cbf putting it in better terms but something about my normative morality shudders feverishly at someone being made a member of parliament which frames the laws of a country at a 'ceremonial' capacity from which he can gain special dispensation to play, god bless it, cricket.

I know that a lot of other politicians in India are absolute ****s but have we, I mean the people of India in general not CW, reached such a level that the only relevant qualification that he has for becoming a member is that he's a good bloke and we're happy that a good bloke is joining politics?

Again, I know there are thousands of examples of this sort across the world and there's nothing unique about it but still makes me wonder..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've just come back after writing an exam after an all nighter and I'm about to sleep so I cbf putting it in better terms but something about my normative morality shudders feverishly at someone being made a member of parliament which frames the laws of a country at a 'ceremonial' capacity from which he can gain special dispensation to play, god bless it, cricket.

I know that a lot of other politicians in India are absolute ****s but have we, I mean the people of India in general not CW, reached such a level that the only relevant qualification that he has for becoming a member is that he's a good bloke and we're happy that a good bloke is joining politics?

Again, I know there are thousands of examples of this sort across the world and there's nothing unique about it but still makes me wonder..
Where has the phrase "good bloke" even been used in this discussion?

G.I.Joe

International Coach

The President has had powers to nominate eminent personalities to the Upper House ever since the constitution was drafted. Presidents have regularly made use of this power vested in them. You're studying the law, FFS. Were you unaware of this provision until now?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange to do this while his playing career is still going on.

Interesting choice to go into politics. Like others have said, I'd have thought Dravid would be a better choice.