• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW All-Time XI Wicket Keepers

CW All Time XI Wicket-Keeper

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How was Walcott with gloves? He would be such a gun wicketkeeper-batsman if he is acceptable behind the wickets.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's a real shame Gerry Alexander gave up first class cricket right when he started batting really well. Sounds like a real gentleman to me. Also, I think Gilchrist's keeping is overrated. I've seen him drop plenty recently while watching those Fox Sports classics.
Gilchrist was far from the best but definitely brought so much to the table with his batting

Not with the gloves he was.

Arachno meant as batsman

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist's batting is very underrated, especially because it tailed off so bad. For much of his career he was a clear 50+ averaging batsman. Even his average now is incredible, considering his SR. What more, when you take a look at his averages home and away and against each opponent his record is very complete.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Walcott was a very good keeper, especially to spin. Kept to hundreds of overs of Ramadin and Valentine with bary a bye.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
With the batting in this team you pick the best keeper.

So Knott by a country mile.

Also a pretty useful batsman who very often got good runs when others had struggled.

smash84

The Tiger King
Gilchrist's batting is very underrated, especially because it tailed off so bad. For much of his career he was a clear 50+ averaging batsman. Even his average now is incredible, considering his SR. What more, when you take a look at his averages home and away and against each opponent his record is very complete.
There is no doubt in my mind that Gilchrist was a very good batsman but having seen both of them bat would you say that he was a better batsman than Sanga?

Jager

International Debutant
There is no doubt in my mind that Gilchrist was a very good batsman but having seen both of them bat would you say that he was a better batsman than Sanga?
I wouldn't... Sangakkara is damn classy and has never had the freedom that Gilchrist did. It's all fun and games when you come in after Hayden, Langer, Ponting etc. but when you're one half of a two man batting team (Jayawardene being his significant other), you're burdened with a huge responsibility- something that he has performed exceptionally with.

smash84

The Tiger King
I wouldn't... Sangakkara is damn classy and has never had the freedom that Gilchrist did. It's all fun and games when you come in after Hayden, Langer, Ponting etc. but when you're one half of a two man batting team (Jayawardene being his significant other), you're burdened with a huge responsibility- something that he has performed exceptionally with.
yeah.....agree with a lot of what you have to say.......

Gilly was good but Sangers is better IMO

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know, it depends what you value. If you value a complete record or a batsman who is able to strike fast and score a lot of runs, it's Gilchrist. I don't think it's that clearcut as you stated it. Gilchrist in any other team would bat higher. I think he would have scored more aggregate runs and people would have given him more weight as one of the great bats of his era.

I disagree with Jager in the above too. There are many innings where Gilchrist changed the tide when all above him failed. It was just his style to strike so fast; it wasn't because he benefitted from those above him. And he did so against great bowlers.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
for me Gilchrist would always be the hard hitting aggressive batsman that was his style

For a test match I would want a batsman who could get in and stay there and play a long innings

Can't recall from the top of my mind but did Gilchrist have a double hundred?

smash84

The Tiger King

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gilly was in top 15 of the recent CW50. He didn't make it because of his bowling or wicket keeping.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Gilly was in top 15 of the recent CW50. He didn't make it because of his bowling or wicket keeping.
You can certainly argue that he did make it due to his keeping. It would be interesting to see where people would rate Gilchrist purely on his batting. If you compare him to other Australian cricketers from the past 15-20 years would he compare favourably to the likes of Martyn, Jones, Hayden, Langer, MWaugh, Slater, Taylor, Hussey, Clarke?

I think it's quite safe to say that SWaugh, Border, Ponting are ahead of him, but after that it gets a little difficult and it's impossible to know if Gilly would have felt under pressure more if he was picked as a batsman or if he would have strived.

Jager

International Debutant
This is a good comment, I remember opening up his in depth statistics and trying to find holes in it, but it was extremely difficult to. It's a shame our ATG team has only a 'passable' grade wicketkeeper though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This is a good comment, I remember opening up his in depth statistics and trying to find holes in it, but it was extremely difficult to. It's a shame our ATG team has only a 'passable' grade wicketkeeper though.
How about his record against India where he just averaged what most keepers did.

I loved Gilly and I'm a firm believer that he's one of those players that added more intangible things to the side that cant be judged from his career average. These include demoralising opponents, being flexible enough to bat up the order when quick runs were needed, making important runs in tough situations, starting the series with a big score etc, etc.

Playing devils advocate here, Gilly played almost all of his career when team scores were at its highest.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He kept more than adequately to Warne all of those years, not to mention Lee, Gilespie and Mcgill. He was much more than a passable keeper.

smash84

The Tiger King
How about his record against India where he just averaged what most keepers did.

I loved Gilly and I'm a firm believer that he's one of those players that added more intangible things to the side that cant be judged from his career average. These include demoralising opponents, being flexible enough to bat up the order when quick runs were needed, making important runs in tough situations, starting the series with a big score etc, etc.

Playing devils advocate here, Gilly played almost all of his career when team scores were at its highest.
Agree with the part in bold but would you rate him as a better batsman than Sanga?

Sangakkara is a very very good batsman

Jager

International Debutant
He kept more than adequately to Warne all of those years, not to mention Lee, Gilespie and Mcgill. He was much more than a passable keeper.
Healy was far superior to Gilchrist, of course. I'd take Healy over Gilly because of his skills behind the stumps. It just frustrates me that apparently wicketkeeping is no longer what we choose a wicketkeeper for.