• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW All-Time XI Openers

CW All Time XI Openers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Using an expanded short list from the one used by Wisden in their recent exercise, lets see what our team would look like compared to the ones the fans voted for. Format: 2 openers, 3 middle order batsmen, 2 all rounders, wicket keeper, spinner and two fast bowlers. We are starting with the Openers. Others to follow shortly.

Openers Short List:
Geoffrey Bocott, Sunil Gavaskar, Gordon Greenidge, Desmond Haynes, Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton, Hanif Mohammad, Virender Sehwag, Herbert Sutcliffe, Victor Trumper, Barry Richards, Arthur Morris.

TNT

Banned
Barry Richards, All time opener with only 7 innings all at home against a mediocre attack. :laugh:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Barry Richards, All time opener with only 7 innings all at home against a mediocre attack. :laugh:
Obviously, it's not because of the 7 innings alone.

This is an interesting one. I generally pick an all time XI with representation from all nations. Not sure if I should stick to that here. Anyway, I will go with Hobbs and Hutton (Gavaskar so perilously close as well).

I also hope that Sobers gets listed as a pure batsman and Imran/Hadlee as pure bowlers as well.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The legend of Barry Richards is based mainly on his first class career and he stint in WSC. But the average of 72 doesn't hurt either. He was seen by many as the second best bat of his generation after his namesake.

watson

Banned
This WSC innings played at Perth in 1978 does enhance Barry Richards reputation.

WSC World XI 1st innings

BA Richards c GS Chappell b Bright 207

CG Greenidge c †Marsh b Bright 140

IVA Richards c Walker b Lillee 177

CH Lloyd c GS Chappell b Lillee 37

Asif Iqbal c GS Chappell b Lillee 1

AW Greig* c Edwards b Lillee 14

Imran Khan c Walker b Bright 15

APE Knott† c Walker b Bright 20

WW Daniel b Bright 1

AME Roberts c Davis b Gilmour 1

DL Underwood not out 0

Extras (b 4, lb 4, nb 4) 12

Total (all out; 114.3 overs; 580 mins) 625 (4.09 runs per 6 balls)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This WSC innings played at Perth in 1978 does enhance Barry Richards reputation.

WSC World XI 1st innings
Not to mention that game for South Australia where he made 325 on the first day, and ended up with 356 of a total of 575. This against an attack including Lillee, McKenzie, Lock and Mann.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs was the Master, and while there may have been better openers there has never been a better opening partnership than Hobbs and Sutclife.

watson

Banned
Hobbs was the Master, and while there may have been better openers there has never been a better opening partnership than Hobbs and Sutclife.
Yes, Hobbs was a genius. But I'd rather watch Hobbs bat with Gavaskar or Barry Richards. I can't imagine Sutcliffe belting a West Indian attack all over the park like Gavaskar did in 1983. 121 runs off 128 balls is awesome, even on a Delhi track.

2nd Test: India v West Indies at Delhi, Oct 29-Nov 3, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, Hobbs was a genius. But I'd rather watch Hobbs bat with Gavaskar or Barry Richards. I can't imagine Sutcliffe belting a West Indian attack all over the park like Gavaskar did in 1983. 121 runs off 128 balls is awesome, even on a Delhi track.

2nd Test: India v West Indies at Delhi, Oct 29-Nov 3, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Well Hutton is my normal pick, but just think that Sutcliffe (and Headley and Lindwall among others) are really under rated here and in a match scenario who better to open with Hobbs.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

WSC World XI 1st innings

CG Greenidge c †Marsh b Bright 140

IVA Richards c Walker b Lillee 177

CH Lloyd c GS Chappell b Lillee 37

Asif Iqbal c GS Chappell b Lillee 1

AW Greig* c Edwards b Lillee 14

Imran Khan c Walker b Bright 15

APE Knott† c Walker b Bright 20

WW Daniel b Bright 1

AME Roberts c Davis b Gilmour 1

DL Underwood not out 0

Extras (b 4, lb 4, nb 4) 12

Total (all out; 114.3 overs; 580 mins) 625 (4.09 runs per 6 balls)
That was the match where Barry and Viv were batting together, and in his excitement Tony Cozier said "for our viewers at home who might be watching in black and white, Barry Richards is the one in the helmet".

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Well Hutton is my normal pick, but just think that Sutcliffe (and Headley and Lindwall among others) are really under rated here and in a match scenario who better to open with Hobbs.
We watch cricket because it is entertaining. We like our side to win of course, but we prefer them to win brilliantly. That's why Boycott will rarely make it into an All Time Great team because he is just not inspiring. And Sutcliffe is similar to Boycott. Dour and methodical. Highly talented but not brilliant to watch.

On the other hand the footwork and range of shots exhibited by Hobbs, Gavaskar, and Barry Richards sets them apart.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went Hobbs and Sutcliffe because I just really like that they were a real partnership.