• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wearing a sweatband for batting

adam96

Cricket Spectator
I batted quite well last year, haven't found for in training yet this season, so would wearing a long sweatband in matches and training like pietersen or bell make me look ****y or poser-ish?

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Thorpe to my knowledge wore a sweat band while batting especially in the SC at least I remeber a video where he took off his helmet and the band was there.

If it makes sense to use it and keeps the sweat out of your eyes do it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I batted quite well last year, haven't found for in training yet this season, so would wearing a long sweatband in matches and training like pietersen or bell make me look ****y or poser-ish?
I recommend wearing a head band and mirrored sunglasses and no helmet

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

Desmond Haynes was a big sweatband man.

Edit: I'm assuming you're talking about sweatbands for the head. I've no views on sweatbands on the arms

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Surely if you were worried about looking poser-ish (or poseur-ish) you would not be using a red font? :dry:

Anyway, you could go the Robin Smith route and wear the long sweatband but no bat

But, IMO, better to go classic like Gooch

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So you are saying you are a sweaty git, I hope you shower after matches and don't wait till you get home, wouldn't want to sit next to a sweaty pongy mess in the pub afterwards.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

I think you are putting your efforts into the wrong area anyway. Clearly your first priority should't be perspiration control but should be establishing an anthem for your club side.:ph34r:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you should get some compression pants and a vest too. They're a good option in case you're too lazy to stretch every evening to avoid injury. You'll still get injured, but you'll look tops!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
How about you grow your hair long and tie it up in a pony tail while you are batting I have always admired players of that ilk and thought them very stylish.

Son Of Coco

It doesn't help as much though if you're not committed to keeping fit and flexible. Have a mate who wears it and, while I'm sure it feels good and provides support, he gets injured quite a lot because he's a lazy bastard. Good bowler though.

Debris

International 12th Man
It doesn't help as much though if you're not committed to keeping fit and flexible. Have a mate who wears it and, while I'm sure it feels good and provides support, he gets injured quite a lot because he's a lazy bastard. Good bowler though.
Huh, would have thought it would help unfit people more ie unfit people get injured more so there is more opportunity for it to prevent injury. Maybe it is the only thing allowing your mate to play at all.

Son Of Coco

Huh, would have thought it would help unfit people more ie unfit people get injured more so there is more opportunity for it to prevent injury. Maybe it is the only thing allowing your mate to play at all.
That's what I'm basically saying mate - it's not magic.

Or are you telling me that someone who rarely plays sport/stretches/does any physical activity is going to be miraculously saved from injury by a pair of tight pants and a shirt?

My mate played cricket before these things were invented and got injured reasonably regularly. He now plays cricket wearing this gear, and gets injured reasonably regularly. They do help, I'm not saying they don't. But they're not like a Harry Potter spell. I think there's a danger in believing you can wear this stuff and it'll protect you from injury without any effort on your own behalf.

I never wore them ever, and I rarely got injured at all. There are other things at play besides the gear you wear.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, a guy I used to play cricket with was always getting injured, we used to joke he was due pulling a fat again. Lardy git used to waddle in to bowl and wasn't very good either but as he was captain nobody minded, saved everyone else organising the team etc...