• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Michael Clarke the best captain around?

Gashti

Banned
So, so refreshing to see a captain who has the audacity to declare with the game in the balance. He needn't have done it with the series on the line. He could have just let the game peter out to a draw. Other captains like Strauss and Smith would have kept batting and not declared at all. Thoughts?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Its refreshing but aggressive is not always necessarily the right option. I like it personally though

If it hadn't rained today and West Indies somehow chased that score down Clarke would probably get a massive beatdown in the media.

Last edited:

Gashti

Banned
Its refreshing but aggressive is not always necessarily the right option. I like it personally though

If it hadn't rained today and West Indies somehow chased that score down Clarke would probably get a massive beatdown in the media.
The probability of West Indies chasing down that total = the probability of Sachin doubling his centuries tally.

Gashti

Banned
If your so sure of that then it hardly counts as an aggressive declaration
It's all relative though. A Stephen Waugh may have declared an hour earlier than Clarke. I'm only saying no other current captain would have the guts to declare. That probably makes him the most aggressive captain at this point. Whether that also makes him the best is up for debate.

TNT

Banned
I think Clarke made all the right moves when declaring but unless he was the only person in the Carribean that didnt know the weather forecast his declaration was not that courageous.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's all relative though. A Stephen Waugh may have declared an hour earlier than Clarke. I'm only saying no other current captain would have the guts to declare. That probably makes him the most aggressive captain at this point. Whether that also makes him the best is up for debate.
It's nothing to do with aggression to make a declaration like that. It's stupidity. The other captains aren't dumb enough to make such a ludicrous declaration that screws your own side.

Valer

First Class Debutant
I think Clarke made all the right moves when declaring but unless he was the only person in the Carribean that didnt know the weather forecast his declaration was not that courageous.
This

It's nothing to do with aggression to make a declaration like that. It's stupidity. The other captains aren't dumb enough to make such a ludicrous declaration that screws your own side.
Not this.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Mahela's pretty average IMO

At the moment I'd say Clarke TBH but lets not kid ourselves into saying that at this moment in time we've got a wide bay of intuitive captains going round.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mahela's pretty average IMO
Mahela isn't what I'd call the "average" captain by any stretch (yes I realise you were using "average" as a put-down, but it annoys me when people use "average" and "ordinary" as if it means bad).

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
AWTA, I hate it when people say a performance was average, meaning bad. If Tendulkar gets a 50 it was an average performance. It's not average if he gets 5.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Dhoni used to be pretty adventurous once, too. Can't remember specific instances but he definitely wasn't the ultra defensive hack he's been reduced to of late.

Anyone get the feeling Clarke is almost going out of his way to win people over to his side after the initial hazing he went through, by the doubters? Or does this fearless thing come naturally to him?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It comes naturally to him and I have to say he is the best captain in the world currently from a pretty poor bunch.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Way too early to tell honestly, Dhoni was awesome too early on (why the **** doesn't he use 8-1 fields anymore? I loved that trick). He's done well so far no doubt, but I have a feeling his aggressive captaincy is gonna cost him at some point, and he'll look as stupid as he does awesome when it comes off. I certainly don't see him declaring behind against teams like SA and England, that's for sure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I certainly don't see him declaring behind against teams like SA and England, that's for sure.
Because that would be stupid, since they have a better batting line-up. :dry:

Other captains have not been willing to do what Clarke has done, even against WI.