• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Michael Clarke the best captain around?

TNT

Banned
Well so far he has done well in SL poorly against NZ, brilliantly against India (who doesn't at home though) and is winning in WI. He is being hyped up yet his team may lose next week and draw the series against WI. Not exactly the record of a brilliant captain. The opposition played so far haven't been the strongest so as I say we wait to see what happens against a better side like Pakistan, SA or England. Be able to judge his side and his captaincy much easier after series against those sides.

One thing in his favour though he is more dynamic than Poontang ever was. Not difficult though.

For the record, Strauss is an ordinary captain. Got a decent side and anyone could captain the side the run they were on, he fell way short this winter. Wouldn't replace him though as I am not convinced Cook is any better.
By your own criteria Ponting would have to be the best Captain ever to walk on the field. He was an outstanding leader leading from the front, his players were quick to rally behind him and had nothing but praise for him and he got the results.

Its like saying KP is not a good batsman because the sticker on his bat is crooked.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well so far he has done well in SL poorly against NZ, brilliantly against India (who doesn't at home though) and is winning in WI. He is being hyped up yet his team may lose next week and draw the series against WI. Not exactly the record of a brilliant captain. The opposition played so far haven't been the strongest so as I say we wait to see what happens against a better side like Pakistan, SA or England. Be able to judge his side and his captaincy much easier after series against those sides.

One thing in his favour though he is more dynamic than Poontang ever was. Not difficult though.

For the record, Strauss is an ordinary captain. Got a decent side and anyone could captain the side the run they were on, he fell way short this winter. Wouldn't replace him though as I am not convinced Cook is any better.
From what I 'd read in here I thought people were referring more to his general attitude towards captaincy. He does need some more series under his belt before a judgement can be made on his record. But would you say a record that doesn't live up to the Waughs of Taylors would make him a bad captain? Stephen Fleming was a very good captain, but I don't think his record with NZ was anything outstanding as far as winning games goes.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I 'd read in here I thought people were referring more to his general attitude towards captaincy. He does need some more series under his belt before a judgement can be made on his record. But would you say a record that doesn't live up to the Waughs of Taylors would make him a bad captain? Stephen Fleming was a very good captain, but I don't think his record with NZ was anything outstanding as far as winning games goes.
Easy to look good against poor sides though, the real test comes against the good ones. Can he make smart field changes and bowling changes to conjure up the moments to turn a game. So far he hasn't been tested on that front, I liked him being unusual by opening with a spinner though, took balls to do that. Looks good so far but will he have good ideas or crumble when the going gets tough?

TNT

Banned
Easy to look good against poor sides though, the real test comes against the good ones.
Australia have beaten Sri Lanka, thats the team that beat England in a test match just recently, India which is one of the top three teams and drew a mini series with NZ.

The only good team would be Pakistan considering SA lost their last series to Australia.

OH wait your trying to tell us that the only good team playing cricket is England right!.

Son Of Coco

Easy to look good against poor sides though, the real test comes against the good ones. Can he make smart field changes and bowling changes to conjure up the moments to turn a game. So far he hasn't been tested on that front, I liked him being unusual by opening with a spinner though, took balls to do that. Looks good so far but will he have good ideas or crumble when the going gets tough?
I thought that's what people were talking about him doing up to this point in some situations. Stephen Fleming?

I do have to ask, have you actually watched him captain many games?

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Australia have beaten Sri Lanka, thats the team that beat England in a test match just recently, India which is one of the top three teams and drew a mini series with NZ.

The only good team would be Pakistan considering SA lost their last series to Australia.

OH wait your trying to tell us that the only good team playing cricket is England right!.
No I am not saying that. Pakistan are on a long unbeaten run, longer than Australia are. SA are number 2 in the world. India are a shambles away (will beat England later this year at home though)

So NZ and WI are massively strong sides then are they?

flibbertyjibber

I thought that's what people were talking about him doing up to this point in some situations. Stephen Fleming?

I do have to ask, have you actually watched him captain many games?
Yes, but it is easy to look good against minnows when you have a better side. Will the same things work against better sides is what I am saying. For that we have to wait and see.

FFS you convicts are way too uptight. You can tell that you aren't number 1 any more as you bite at anyone who disagrees with anything about your side.:laugh:

TNT

Banned
So NZ and WI are massively strong sides then are they?
I never claimed they were massively strong teams, I just refuted your claim that they are poor sides. Bangledesh and Zimbabwe are poor sides but I wouldent put WI and NZ in the same boat. WI did manage to win a match against Pakistan.

But Clarke lead his team unbeaten in Sri Lanka which even some of the good teams cant do.

flibbertyjibber

What are you saying though flib?
That we can't call him the greatest captain around like the thread opener suggests until we see his record against some of the top sides. Not OTT is it but the Crims got a bit uppity and arsey as someone dared to say he might not be all that.:laugh:

TNT

Banned
That we can't call him the greatest captain around like the thread opener suggests
The OP didnt suggest he was the greatest but simply the best captain around. You are entitled to put up your opinion on who is the best captain around at the moment.

You know you want to put up Strauss but just cant bring yourself to do it :laugh::laugh:

flibbertyjibber

The OP didnt suggest he was the greatest but simply the best captain around. You are entitled to put up your opinion on who is the best captain around at the moment.

You know you want to put up Strauss but just cant bring yourself to do it :laugh::laugh:
I have already said Strauss is an ordinary captain if you look at the thread.

Misbah is the top man for me at present. To unite a Pakistan team and produce a long unbeaten run like he has is no mean feat considering the mess they were in when he got the job.

TNT

Banned
I have already said Strauss is an ordinary captain if you look at the thread.

Misbah is the top man for me at present. To unite a Pakistan team and produce a long unbeaten run like he has is no mean feat considering the mess they were in when he got the job.
So what good teams has Misbah beaten?

TNT

Banned
Beat the side that thrashed you 3-1 in your backyard 3-0 at a canter. That is all that needs saying.
Just as I thought. If Strauss cant be the best then it cant be an Australian. I see why so many English players suffer mental problems, 18 years has taken its toll/

Son Of Coco

Yes, but it is easy to look good against minnows when you have a better side. Will the same things work against better sides is what I am saying. For that we have to wait and see.

FFS you convicts are way too uptight. You can tell that you aren't number 1 any more as you bite at anyone who disagrees with anything about your side.:laugh:
I'm not biting, I'm trying to have a discussion with you. I did forget that having a discussion with you means not actually answering any questions you're asked and ignoring what people here are actually talking about.

I'll ask one more time - is Stephen Fleming a **** captain because he captained a team that didn't win very often?

I do like how you're happy to refer to the teams we've played as 'minnows' when your boys have just been thrashed by Pakistan and struggled against Sri Lanka :laugh:

Son Of Coco

That we can't call him the greatest captain around like the thread opener suggests until we see his record against some of the top sides. Not OTT is it but the Crims got a bit uppity and arsey as someone dared to say he might not be all that.:laugh:
You can add this to the Stephen Fleming question, just so you can get your head around it - would you say being beaten by a team that is better than you makes a player a bad captain? Or would you judge them more on their approach to captaincy during the games in question (as well as the rest of their career?) I'm not saying Clarke is the best captain at the moment by the way, as someone else said - there's not a lot to choose from.

I think you have a few issues with perceiving the intention of a social interaction FJ. As soon as someone asks you a question about what you've written you jump in and say they're "getting a bit uppity and arsey". Or is that the whole point of joining in in the first place?

I hope we don't spend 15 years in the cricketing wilderness if this is the effect it has on your mental acuity.