• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Roach just had his "NZ" moment?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Looking at Roach's career from the begining it's always reminded me of what Steyn went through early on, he made his debut for the SA team aged 21, did ok but eventually he got dropped, then he went to county cricket to develop his game, after that experience he managed to work his way back into the test team, done ok away in the subcontinent and then came the defining moment in his career, NZ at home in 2008, he got 25 wickets in that series and never looked back,

Roach's path has been quite similar, though he probably started a little better than Steyn did but had a horrible slump last year which lead to him being dropped, he got picked up by Worcestershire county club and done well, he continued to play for the one day team though and was the top wicket taker in the India odi series, there he showed signs that he was coming back to form, after that he played in the four day competition for Barbados and after a quiet start he just exploded and started taking 5 and 4fers, people at the game claimed he was looking back to his best again,

Now we come to this series and he's just been sensational, top pacer in the one day series and now he finds himself leading the way in the test series, and has just got his first 10fer on the board,

After 16 tests Steyn had around 76 wickets, Roach has around 58, but Kemar's defining moment may have come at an earlier stage (Steyn was 24 and a half and Roach is still 23),

His next series will be a massive test of course (away in England) but if he does well there aswell then i can't see the kid looking back either.

Gashti

Banned
Top quality post. Very eloquently put. Posters like you put the rest of us to shame on the interwebz mate. This series could very well prove to be the defining moment in Roach's career.

Stapel

International Regular
Roach has picked over 50 Test wickets, under 30 a piece, while under 24 years old. I can't imagine there are many bowlers who can say the same. Hard to say he will be up there with Steyn though. But it's a good thing the Windies have a fast bowler that can be compared with the world's best bowler!

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Top quality post. Very eloquently put. Posters like you put the rest of us to shame on the interwebz mate. This series could very well prove to be the defining moment in Roach's career.
Thanks for the praise man!!! :D , i just hope Kemar can live up to the hype.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Roach has picked over 50 Test wickets, under 30 a piece, while under 24 years old. I can't imagine there are many bowlers who can say the same. Hard to say he will be up there with Steyn though. But it's a good thing the Windies have a fast bowler that can be compared with the world's best bowler!
Yes it would be tough for Kemar to follow in Steyn's footsteps but you never know, when Steyn got going he just became relentless, Kemar has to have that same desire to move his game to the next level, he's shown what he can do in this series and away in Sri-lanka in 2010, he just needs to be more consistent now.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been pretty high on Roach for a while now, so I'm not surprised he's finding form. Yeah, he could be WI's best quick since Walsh, but I don't see him being as good as Steyn.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most impressive thing about Roach's bowling in this test was the consistent length he bowled. Was top stuff.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was flabbergasted that some forum members were calling for Roach to be axed after the first test for Rampaul.

He's always been a bowler that I've enjoyed watching and will (injury pending) definitely be West Indies best bowler since Walsh. But that's not that hard is it? Only Dillon and Collymore are really in contention, perhaps Rampaul too.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Always been a fan. We could all do with more roaches. But looks more a "body" bowler than a rhythm bowler. Can't wait to see a few of the other bowlers OP keeps bragging about. Saw a Jason Holder video and yeah, definite Ambrose-isms.

Jager

International Debutant
Here's something interesting. Waqar only took 3 five-wicket hauls in his last 56 matches.

Satguru

Banned
Yeah, he seems a really good prospect... his accuracy has been damn good recently much to my suprise.

Good days ahead imo...after 2 bad decades for fast bowling, suddenly we have great potential in bowlers like Philander, Cummins, Pattinson, Roach, Bracewell, and bowlers like Hilfy,Broad and Siddle have improved vastly in recent times, Anderson imo will be close to ATG when he retires (been saying this for a while now), Steyns already ATG... wonderful stuff, hope atleast a few of them go on to become great bowlers... cricket badly needs them

Valer

First Class Debutant
Anderson imo will be close to ATG when he retires (been saying this for a while now),

Strongly Dwta

I'd suggest that Finn/ Broad/ Bresnann/Tremlett ect have a much better chance. Anderson is if I'm generous halfway through his career. Even if he averages say 20 for the next half (and gets the same # of wickets-- reasonable given the rest of the english team) he'll still average 25.x hardly atg stuff. I also doubt he'll average 20 for ~260 wickets ...

Last edited:

Satguru

Banned
Strongly Dwta

I'd suggest that Finn/ Broad/ Bresnann/Tremlett ect have a much better chance. Anderson is if I'm generous halfway through his career. Even if he averages say 20 for the next half (and gets the same # of wickets-- reasonable given the rest of the english team) he'll still average 25.x hardly atg stuff. I also doubt he'll average 20 for ~260 wickets ...
Yeah, which is why stats dont always tell the whole story... Anderson had a terrible start to his career and it will be held against him, but imo in the last 2 and a half years he's been as good as steyn, and has done well in all sorts of conditions... The first half of his career will rightly be held against him but imo if he carries on like this till the end of his career he will be close to an atg for me. "close to" because of the first half, obviously

Broad has awesome potential but needs to sustain his performance for far longer to even enter the anderson, steyn league imo. And the argument you used for anderson applies for broad too, dont you think?

Last edited: