• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was Australia's greatest left-handed opener?

Who was Australia's greatest left-handed opening batsman?

• Total voters

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Got a rather off-topic question... Has anyone attempted to compile everyone's favourite/best teams and turn it into one collective CW XI?
We had a Battle Of Favorite Cricketers not long ago -

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...-cws-favorite-cricketer-now-underway-120.html

This was the most favorite team as per the results of the battle format -

Most Favorite Team

Jack Hobbs
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Adam Gilchrist(WK)
Imran Khan(C)
Richard Hadlee
Allan Donald
Dale Steyn
Malcolm Marshall

Lack of spinners FTL. Fast bowlers and batsman being more favored than spinners.
Imran Khan won it in the end.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Got a rather off-topic question... Has anyone attempted to compile everyone's favourite/best teams and turn it into one collective CW XI?
Actually did one about 6 months ago and about 35 people participated. Actually thinking about starting a more structured exercise based on Richie Benauds team format utilizing 2 openers, 3 middle order, 2 all rounders, wicket keeper, spinner and two allrounders. Almost finished the short list, which is based on wisdens with players from our recently completed to 50 list.

Jager

International Debutant
Actually did one about 6 months ago and about 35 people participated. Actually thinking about starting a more structured exercise based on Richie Benauds team format utilizing 2 openers, 3 middle order, 2 all rounders, wicket keeper, spinner and two allrounders. Almost finished the short list, which is based on wisdens with players from our recently completed to 50 list.
I quite like Richie's format, although I always like to have two spinners, sometimes even three (one as an all-rounder e.g Aubrey Faulkner or Richie Benaud), it makes it more interesting to me.

manas

Cricket Spectator
Mathew hyden, no doubt that he is the australian greatest batsman

At the age 40 , if some one keeps hitting sixes as the age of 25 does, is a great thing .
He does not need a introduction, you can imagine mature he is that he can adapt any situation very easily...the technique, the temperament like youth.. he is really a passionate cricketer , i don't know why these players gets retirement, in my opinion till your guns have bullets ,keeps firing ...its true youngster should be given chance... at the same time mature should be the part ... of the game also... we ultimately missing that charismatic attacking game of cricket

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
At the age 40 , if some one keeps hitting sixes as the age of 25 does, is a great thing .
He does not need a introduction, you can imagine mature he is that he can adapt any situation very easily...the technique, the temperament like youth.. he is really a passionate cricketer , i don't know why these players gets retirement, in my opinion till your guns have bullets ,keeps firing ...its true youngster should be given chance... at the same time mature should be the part ... of the game also... we ultimately missing that charismatic attacking game of cricket
Morris was famed for his attacking style, with wonderful footwork to spinners and his willingness to loft his shots in the air!

manas

Cricket Spectator
mathew hyden

no doubt, why you giving so much options... in every format of the game he is the master
:laugh:

manas

Cricket Spectator
he can play any format of cricket and i dont no why people give options... there is only 1 candidate who is top that is hyden

manas

Cricket Spectator
you can see the score

you can see the score where hyden is and where other 2 is.......i dont need to say more
this smiles 4 u:blink::@:p

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia has been blessed with a plethora of outstanding left-handed openers – if I were to rank them, it would look something like:

Matthew Hayden
Arthur Morris
Bill Lawry
Mark Taylor
Warren Bardsley
Justin Langer

That order could change on a given day, there really isn’t a huge amount between all of them in my opinion, all wonderful servants of Australian cricket.