• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was Australia's greatest left-handed opener?

Who was Australia's greatest left-handed opening batsman?

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its a difficult question. I think the 3 plus Bill Lawry are our 4 best. I've always been a Hayden fan and his performances in Australia throughout his career were huge, Ponting like.

Many Aussies loved the Hayden Langer opening combo, my favourite partnership throughout that time was always Hayden Ponting, they were just awesome together.

I get the feeling that if Taylor gets votes, its due to his captaincy and fielding, not just his left handed opening batting. Obviously he was still good though. Today I will vote for Hayden.

Jager

International Debutant
I didn't put Langer on the list because it was obvious that his main opening partner was better than him. Seems like Bill would have been in for a good shot here though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
katich obv

Went Taylor. Someone pls calculate his average leaving out the horror run towards the end of his career. Would have been about 48 I reckon.

Played in an arguably tougher era and in much tougher conditions than Haydos, and brought so much to Australian cricket. My favourite captain.
Nah this isn't fair. Taylor had 'awesome' and 'horror' runs (lol) all through his career.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah this isn't fair. Taylor had 'awesome' and 'horror' runs (lol) all through his career.
eg you take out the 'awesome' run at the start of his career his average is below 40. but while he never repeated it, he had pretty hot stretches again in his career. so it'd be unfair to take that away. and likewise the 96-97 form slump was the worst of his career, but you know he was dropped form the test team back in like 91. It wasn't an one off form slump

Jager

International Debutant
Got a rather off-topic question... Has anyone attempted to compile everyone's favourite/best teams and turn it into one collective CW XI?

archie mac

International Coach
I would have like to see Bardsley and Lawry on here too, but still would have voted Morris. Who was perhaps more important to the Aussies of 48 than even Bradman.

Started with a ton in each innings when he debut for NSW but lost six years to the war. Throw in the stress of losing his wife dying to cancer and he perhaps may have been the greatest opener of them all and not just for Australia:)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Got a rather off-topic question... Has anyone attempted to compile everyone's favourite/best teams and turn it into one collective CW XI?
Yes Smali and Nufan just did it. But it was not a team. It was a squad of 25 selected by everyone which was collated to one final list.

Howe_zat

Audio File
We had an event not too long ago where a team of the forumers' favourites played a simulated match against a team of the staff members' favourites. If I remember correctly Lara made both sides and hit three tons in the match.

RPHKR

Banned
We had an event not too long ago where a team of the forumers' favourites played a simulated match against a team of the staff members' favourites. If I remember correctly Lara made both sides and hit three tons in the match.
Sir Donald Bradman.