Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can an average ODI player be an ATG?

International Debutant salman85's Avatar

Can an average ODI player be an ATG?

Test Cricket is the ultimate form of Cricket, and the barometer against which the ability of a player is judged. A player who has not succeeded at Test Level might never be considered a true cricketing great. All ATGs from the past had stellar Test Careers. Some managed to have great ODI careers, but a lot of them had average ODI careers too. Back then ODI cricket was not as dominant and frequent as it is now, and not having a great ODI career in the past never left a black mark against a true great. However, now that ODI cricket makes up a huge chunk of the cricket calendar, does having an average ODI career alongside a Brilliant Test Career still make someone an ATG?
    Steyn would be a good example. Hes had a fantastic Test Career, but his ODI career is hardly as good. Would this be held against him at the end of his career in this day and age of limited overs dominant cricket? Or is only having a top drawer Test Career still good enough to land you place in Cricketing folklore? **

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    It just depends on what weighting you put on the different formats when you make your ratings. To my way of thinking, tests will always be the determining factor in rating someone a great player or not. By that, I mean if I say saomeone is a great player, I'm implicitly talking about tests.

For me, if it came to ranking players, there would need to be very similar test records between them, for me to even look at ODIs to make a difference between them. Whereas, if one was miles ahead as an ODI player but only a little behind as a test player, I'd go for the other bloke.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

State Vice-Captain
    I'm more interested in whether an awesome solo ODI career is enough. I don't think anyone who lived through Bevan's feats would have any hesitancy in pitching him as an ATG ODI player. If Kohli keeps reproducing the sort of brilliance that's become his wont over the past year but struggles at Test level, I reckon he'll still be as much a part of folklore. ODIs, as bastardized as they've become over the years, still retain a bit of texture and basic appeal of the longer forms. Can't outright consign feats therein to the dustbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It just depends on what weighting you put on the different formats when you make your ratings. To my way of thinking, tests will always be the determining factor in rating someone a great player or not. By that, I mean if I say saomeone is a great player, I'm implicitly talking about tests.

For me, if it came to ranking players, there would need to be very similar test records between them, for me to even look at ODIs to make a difference between them. Whereas, if one was miles ahead as an ODI player but only a little behind as a test player, I'd go for the other bloke.
    awta
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    ATG ODI
    bevan is definitely the first one would think of ^ but that is just like a massive asterisk. ATG ODI != ATG cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Think Burgey pretty much nailed it for me.

I think it adds maybe a little 5-10% on the end of it; would I think slightly higher of Slater and Vaughan if they showed more in the shorter form? Yeah, quite possibly. Still doesn't affect my rating of them that highly though.

In my ratings, I never penalize someone for a "bad" ODI career. ODI's help, but never hurt someones ranking.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    In my ratings, I never penalize someone for a "bad" ODI career. ODI's help, but never hurt someones ranking.
    Pretty much nailed it for me
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Doesn't change anything for me, they're two different games and it's much fairer (and neater) not keep them entirely separate.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

I barely consider them at all, personally.

But I think if we really want to look at how much a player has achieved, being completely fair, we have to give ODIs a great deal of importance because they're a great deal of what matters to the player and to the team. For the last 30 or so years, players have grown up learning to play all forms of the game. There's no doubt that when they set out on a cricketing career, they aim to play in all formats, and they spend their time and resources trying to achieved that. So if we want to judge how successful they've been, it doesn't make sense to ignore a large portion of what they were trying to do.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    AWTAz

With the different formats of Cricket being played these days,and the challenge of adopting to different format,surely the shorter formats should have be given a lot more weightage when judging a player's worth these days as is being suggested.No?

I'm not saying that Test Cricket should be trumped by ODIs,but ODIs make up a large chunk of the modern cricketer's career.A player not excelling at the shorter formats is not as complete a cricketer as someone who is excelling at the shorter formats,along with Test Match brilliance ofcourse.

I think while judging the modern day cricketer,what gets ignored is the workload that he faces,which is much more than the workload faced by an international cricketer in the past.A cricketer in the past primarily had to focus on Test Cricket,with ODIs being a far off 2nd choice.That isn't really the case nowadays due to the sheer volume of ODIs being played.The fact that the modern cricketer manages to perform at the highest level despite more workload than cricketers in the past ,should mean that his accomplishments in the shorter formats be given as much weightage,if not more,then Test Matches IMO.The same goes for a a modern cricketer who has not excelled at the shorter formats.While a cricketer who has done well in the shorter formats should be hailed,a person who has failed should be held in lesser esteem,the same way a good or poor Test Match Career effects the image of a player.
    Last edited by salman85; 18-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.

In my early days on this forum, I often said something to the effect of "and if you also consider ODI performances...". Since then I have been swayed by groupthink, and I no longer make that argument.

ODIs are too important a part of Cricket now to not be taken into serious consideration while judging a modern player's worth IMO.While T20 is pure entertainment and nothing more,ODI Cricket is a top drawer serious format.I mean no disrespect to Test Matches,but the highlight of the modern cricketer's career is winning the ODI World Cup.Not winning a Test Series away in alien conditions.
    Last edited by salman85; 18-04-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Think about it. If you talk about someone being an awesome player with strongest performances in Tests, you'll say he's an awesome cricketer. If he's particularly strong at ODIs or T20s, you'll say he's an awesome ODI/T20 cricketer. In general, Tests are the marker that you use to judge ATGs.

There are exceptions eg I will probably consider Malinga an ATG once he's retired because he is so amazing in T20s. As I say, though, they're exceptions to the "Tests make an ATG" rule.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information