• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can an average ODI player be an ATG?

Valer

First Class Debutant
To me, they are two different games (cricket, and limited overs cricket) and should be judged entirely separately. I feel dirty trying to combine them, and would much sooner turn to domestic cricket if I felt one's Test record didn't tell us enough.
But after their IPL record right?? :ph34r:

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
I see no reason to combine the formats. Judge each player on his ability in each format separately.

Gashti

Banned
The main objective of each and every cricketer is to win matches for their country. The player who manages to do it more often than not, regardless of format, is a great player.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Use it as tie-breaker for similar players. Which is why McGrath > Marshall, although McGrath was better even just taking Tests into account.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
2 completely different games which shouldnt be combined at all to judge a player. If you ask me who is better batsman out of Michael Bevan and Michael Slater, Slater is the better test batsman, Bevan is the better 50 over batsman. There is no way or need to combine the 2 forms that makes any sense.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd echo what Burgey said.

If a player is an ATG - ie, for me, judged basically on Test performances - then the chances are he'll also be pretty handy at limited overs stuff. But that limited overs success is a by-product of his greatness rather than a measure of it.