Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

CW50 2nd Edition - No 02

Number 02 Sir Donald Bradman

Highest Ranking 1
    Total Points 1202
    Number of Votes Received 51/57
    Rank in 1st Edition 1

What they said of him

The greatest cricket of the 20th century (Wisden)

“... he will always be in the category of the brilliant, if unsound, ones. Promise there is in Bradman in plenty, though watching him does not inspire one with any confidence that he desires to take the only course which will lead him to a fulfilment of that promise. He makes a mistake, then makes it again and again; he does not correct it, or look as if he were trying to do so. He seems to live for the exuberance of the moment.” (Percy Fender’s initial analysis on Bradman)

“Next to Mr. Winston Churchill, he was the most celebrated man in England during the summer of 1948. His appearances throughout the country were like one continuous farewell matinée. At last his batting showed human fallibility. Often, especially at the start of the innings, he played where the ball wasn't, and spectators rubbed their eyes.” (RC Robertson’s observation of Bradman on his last tour of England in 1948)

Sir Donald Bradman

“Sir Donald Bradman of Australia was, beyond any argument, the greatest batsman who ever lived and the greatest cricketer of the 20th century. Only WG Grace, in the formative years of the game, even remotely matched his status as a player. And The Don lived on into the 21st century, more than half a century after he retired. In that time, his reputation not merely as a player but as an administrator, selector, sage and cricketing statesman only increased. His contribution transcended sport; his exploits changed Australia's relationship to what used to be called the "mother country". Throughout the 1930s and 40s Bradman was the world's master cricketer, so far ahead of everyone else that comparisons became pointless. In 1930, he scored 974 runs in the series, 309 of them in one amazing day at Headingley, and in seven Test series against England he remained a figure of utter dominance; Australia lost the Ashes only once, in 1932-33, when England were so spooked by Bradman that they devised a system of bowling, Bodyline, that history has damned as brutal and unfair, simply to thwart him. He still averaged 56 in the series. In all, he went to the crease 80 times in Tests, and scored 29 centuries. He needed just four in his last Test innings, at The Oval in 1948, to ensure an average of 100 ¬- but was out second ball for 0, a rare moment of human failing that only added to his everlasting appeal. Bradman made all those runs at high speed in a manner that bewildered opponents and entranced spectators. Though his batting was not classically beautiful, it was always awesome.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Well.

Bugger.

Banned
    Hmmm... not sure if this is a joke post tbh, so wont post anything on topic

Nah this joke has been done.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    **** off mate. Want to see who voted for whom. This is just not right.

Banned
    yeah im hoping this isnt a joke, coz the same thing isnt funny a second time

Ah well. Curious how may of the 51 votes placed him at #1. Can't be more than 47 of them for the math to work. Likely much fewer than that I guess. The average points per vote is 23.5, so the average rank in lists of those who voted him would be less than #2. Itstl.

please move on to the other thread to confirm if this is a joke or not

Eds
    I hope this is real.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Wow. Wasn't really expecting that. How could 6 people not view him as one of the top 25 cricketers of all time? Who didn't include Bradman in their lists? Show yourself!

I like how he's ranked number 2, and is then described as unquestionably the greatest cricket of the 20th century in the write up. Kinda contradictory.
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 17-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Well.

Bugger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satguru View Post
    Hmmm... not sure if this is a joke post tbh, so wont post anything on topic
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Nah this joke has been done.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    **** off mate. Want to see who voted for whom. This is just not right.
    exhibts a through d as to why joke votes really aren't funny
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I have no issue with Bradman not being #1. In fact I didn't even put him there myself.

I don't, however, think this is an accurate reflection of the collective opinions of this site's members. It's come about because of few blokes submitted completely serious lists bar the deliberate exclusion of Bradman (and maybe a few others, but not Sobers) to be funny, hipster or mischievous.

Number of Votes Received 51/57

That says it all, and frankly it discredits the whole list. Again - not because not having Bradman at #1 is crime within itself, but because we all know that's where CW would rate him and that it demonstrates the amount of intellectually dishonest lists that we submitted.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 17-04-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Banned
    Ok, now that we know this isnt a joke, this is a ****ing joke

Bradman not at No.1 is wrong. just wrong.

The fact that 6 people didnt nominate him at all made the difference... those 6 might have just done it either as a joke believing their one vote wouldnt make a difference, or did it on purpose to unfairly swing the vote... either way it is a bit of a shame tbh
    Last edited by Satguru; 17-04-2012 at 10:27 AM.

some people while trying to be funny ended up destroying it.....

the reason I took so long to put this up was that I wanted to do some editing and put Bradman on top....tbh I really was tempted to do it but then decided not to tamper with anything.

I wanted to discuss this with NUFAN but didn't go ahead with the discussion either.....but this is it folks......

it was great to conduct this exercise although in the end people were disappointed.

Average position of Sobers in the list of those that voted him = 3.6
    Average position of Bradman in the list of those that voted him = 2.5

6 people not voting for Bradman did him in. I don't how many of them were just kidding

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information