• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 02

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not your fault smiley. You have done a great job. Well done and thanks to you and NUFAN.

Name and shame IMO
Phlegm mentioned that he submitted an entirely serious list - but without Tendulkar and Bradman, and with Doug Bracewell on top.

This is why we can't have nice things, Phlegm. If you're going to submit a joke list, don't list any serious contenders.

1. Bracewell, 2. Ingram, 3. Hay, 4. Mason etc would've been fine. But 1. Bracewell, 2. Sobers just ruins it for people who wanted to take it seriously.

Shri

Mr. Glass
some people while trying to be funny ended up destroying it.....

the reason I took so long to put this up was that I wanted to do some editing and put Bradman on top....tbh I really was tempted to do it but then decided not to tamper with anything.

I wanted to discuss this with NUFAN but didn't go ahead with the discussion either.....but this is it folks......

it was great to conduct this exercise although in the end people were disappointed.
List would have been more credible if you knew the difference between Martin Crowe and Russell Crowe.:p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Phlegm mentioned that he submitted an entirely serious list - but without Tendulkar and Bradman, and with Doug Bracewell on top.

This is why we can't have nice things, Phlegm. If you're going to submit a joke list, don't list any serious contenders.

1. Bracewell, 2. Ingram, 3. Hay, 4. Mason etc would've been fine. But 1. Bracewell, 2. Sobers just ruins it for people who wanted to take it seriously.
Yep in the CW's 50 top bands exercise I did receive a joke list. It's now replaced by a serious one but because all bar one of the acts would have received their only vote from this list, it would have made zero difference to anything aside from giving one band one extra point. Joke lists should go all the way or they kinda ruin the whole thing.

Shameless plug over :ph34r:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Good job running it Smiley and Nufan. :thumbsup:

Did a pretty good job with all the hassle and creating the treads etc and also the writeups.
'
And i don't see a major issue with Bradman at 2 either. Every player would have had some people leaving them lower for the right reasons, or the wrong reasons and the same is true with Bradman.

Though really it shouldn't be like that, it is the case with all such exercises. Anyways looking at the list on the macro level though i may not have ranked the players like they ended up, it's been largely a fair list and certainly not something that a few joke votes have spoiled.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A real shame, the fact that six people didn't vote for him at all was quite shameful, as I said for Marshall ect. As i suggested anyway the votes should be made public, if for no other reason to see who we should take less seriously in the future.
Hope this doesn't take away from Sobers greatness.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If the people who didn't put Bradman in their top 25 want to argue why he isn't amongst the top 25 players of all time then please do. If they don't really think that then they should be named and shamed for ruining this for everyone involved and in particular Smali for spending hours of his free time to try and do a fun activity for every one here.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Nah, no need to go overboard and call for a public censure and what not. If they want to disclose their reasons for leaving him off, then great. If not, then no big deal. It's just a fun exercise on a cricket forum. Bradman's greatness is not affected in any way by how we ranked him on CW.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I just feel that if they seriously left him out for cricketing reasons, they would be more than happy to share why. Naming and shaming is probably a bit far yes, but I think the people who left him out should tell us all why.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, no need to go overboard and call for a public censure and what not. If they want to disclose their reasons for leaving him off, then great. If not, then no big deal. It's just a fun exercise on a cricket forum. Bradman's greatness is not affected in any way by how we ranked him on CW.
quite so

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Never made runs in India, i'm guessing. That seems to be the prerequisite for just about everything in cricket these days.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At least this finally proves forever that Sobers > Imran, and by quite some margin

:ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep in the CW's 50 top bands exercise I did receive a joke list. It's now replaced by a serious one but because all bar one of the acts would have received their only vote from this list, it would have made zero difference to anything aside from giving one band one extra point. Joke lists should go all the way or they kinda ruin the whole thing.

Shameless plug over :ph34r:
No list with S Club 7 at the top is ever a joke!

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Could it be that six members decided that they couldn't possibly rate a player they've never seen play? Not even some proper test playing footage. I don't begrudge people the opinion to not rate somebody all they know of is a (excellent) stat sheet. Especially when it's been drilled home that stats aren't everything.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup, remember Beleg often said it was only fair that he voted upon players that he'd seen play. Some people see it that way.

Still disappointed for the guys who put the time into it, if they feel that they've been had a bit by people not taking it seriously.