Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaun Pollock

Shaun Pollock

One of Saffers best players ever, consistent with his bowling, realible with his batting, but somehow when the best allrounders are mentioned he never gets a shout. Could it be that he was a bowling version of Kallis? http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafr...yer/46774.html
    Last edited by Rasimione; 15-04-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: wrong link was posted.

Yeah; a truly great player who was and is massively under-rated by the general cricket-following public. I've always felt he could be one whose legacy grows as the years pass; I think he'll be rated higher by the next generation of fans than he is by his own.

More than a bowling Kallis I see him as a modern Hadlee, and most here will know how highly I think of Hadlee.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    it's the red hair
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Under-rated by the majority

Over-rated by CW's overreaction complex

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    it's the red hair
    this

doesn't help having famous forebears either - dilutes the reputation

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    disagree i think the complaints about how under-rated he is is about spot on

SA were so lucky to gave him and Kallis at the same time. A top quality batting all rounder and a top quality bowling all rounder. It means that just about any team you then pick will be balanced. I can't think of any team that has been so fortunate in the all rounder department.

I do think that they were counterparts of each other, and complemented each other beautifully. Kallis' bowling and Pollock's batting being of a comparable standard and vice versa.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    If he looked more like Fonzie rather than Richie Cunningham...

Nah, top chap, actually. Think as he gets more telly comm gigs his rep will go up; has exactly the right combo of enthusiasm for the game and an analytical eye. That he patently knows his onions will see a posthumous gloss added to his exploits.

Shameful end to his captaincy career too. Carried the can for (IIRC) Boucher's inability to count properly. If memory serves Goughy (the poster, not the ex-fast bowler turned dancer/meeja know-nothing) is of the opinion the SA wanted to draw a line under the Cronje era and bring in a more malleable captain. One assumes they hadn't actually spoken to Smith beforehand. Despite his youth I can't see Fat Gray being anyone's front man.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

^ Always thought it was the change room misreading the DL charts, Boucher blameless

Always something missing to the guy for me... Never one of the 'Imran's' . But even to come near is a feat and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 5 years and counting!

Banned
    I don't know how bad or stupid this will sound but I'd have Pollock on the same level as the Imrans, Bothams, Devs and Hadlees.

Shaun Pollock is one of those almost players for me. Almost a great bowler, almost a good batsman, not quite a genuine all-rounder. Fantastic cricketer but just not in the discussion for great all-rounders.

He does enter the discussion IMO. Beats every great all rounder hands down with his fielding, with exception of Sobers. With his credentials with bat and ball, it's enough to keep him among the elite.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

The bloke has more than 400 wickets at a tick over 23 and he doesn't qualify as a great bowler?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    The bloke has more than 400 wickets at a tick over 23 and he doesn't qualify as a great bowler?
    I probably meant it in a bit of a different sense than it usually is meant. There has been a lot of discussion who the ATG bowlers are. Names like Marshall, McGrath, Imran, Hadlee etc get thrown around and I don't think that he is quite in that company.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information