• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Pollock

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Shaun wasn't getting enough notice even in 90s though. Up until end of 2003, he had the best test bowling average of anyone that had taken 200+ wickets. Yes say it again in your mind. That's insane performance considering the guys that he left behind - everyone. And had a batting average of 30+.

I'm now reminded of a time when I considered Pollock a legend and wasn't sold on Kallis. Wonder why I left Polly out of my top 25 list while placing Kallis in top 15.

Last edited:

unam

U19 12th Man
Shaun wasn't getting enough notice even in 90s though. Up until end of 2003, he had the best test bowling average of anyone that had taken 200+ wickets. Yes say it again in your mind. That's insane performance considering the guys that he left behind - everyone. And had a batting average of 30+.

I'm now reminded of a time when I considered Pollock a legend and wasn't sold on Kallis. Wonder why I left Polly out of my top 25 list while placing Kallis in top 15.
Media
Quite guy
No off field scandals
No on filed Scandals

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Those seem like tweets from a young girl that is tightly hugging her teddy while posting all this.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't rely on people and circumstances. Except the person who planted the tree that you're now sitting in the shade of. You can rely on that chap, and the circumstance of him having planted that tree.

unam

U19 12th Man
:laugh: Those seem like tweets from a young girl that is tightly hugging her teddy while posting all this.
Why?? just because his tweets seem sensible?? or his tweets doesn't have to do anything with banging girls or getting drunk?? or his tweets are directed towards other players/people??

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I have typed about 15 draft posts in response to those tweets. I haven't posted any of them because they could be offensive to (a) religious people and (b) complete ****ing idiots. And I am not suggesting that there is any necessary overlap between categories (a) and (b).

unam

U19 12th Man
I have typed about 15 draft posts in response to those tweets. I haven't posted any of them because they could be offensive to (a) religious people and (b) complete ****ing idiots. And I am not suggesting that there is any necessary overlap between categories (a) and (b).
If this post is for me, than to make things clear I am not offended in any way by 8ankitj's post. just asked WHY:p

Lostman

State Captain
:laugh: Zaremba

I am just picturing the SA dressing room with Rhodes, Pollock and Cronje in a bible study group before they face the Australians.
Meanwhile, Warne in all likelihood was, drinking, whoring and being a glutton in preparation.

Warne 1; Jesus 0

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Shaun Pollock's twitter - Damaging his CW 50 ranking since October 2011

Don't rely on people and circumstances. Except the person who planted the tree that you're now sitting in the shade of. You can rely on that chap, and the circumstance of him having planted that tree.
:laugh:

Nah great player though. Those stats up to 2004 are insane. Doesn't get the recognition he deserves in the cricketing world.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Pollock was probably my favourite South African player ever. Would watch him bowl and bat all day. An outstanding bowler as mentioned for 2/3rds or more of his career and reliable/good bowler who could be devastatiing in the rght conditions for the last 1/3rd of his career. Batting was always useful. His numbers are amazing and in my mind, second only to Kallis in terms of test players in the last 15 years. He's just a slightly lesser version of Mcgrath with the ball, but can bat decently.

Find it shocking how underrated he is. Like unam mentioned, the media and general public are responsible for this. Performances are too often mixed up with style, watchability and being part of a largely followed series. Pollock was just a guy who did the damage quietly and politely. Maybe he should have been more aggressive and sledged some more. But then again the media and general public have no clue on most things; the fact that there is even a debate about whether Bradman is the best batsman ever highlights this.

Similarly England and Australia control a lot of the media views on cricket, so performances between and against these 2 teams are overhyped. In the last 10 years India have joined these 2 teams, and there definitely seems to be a bias in the rating of English and Aus players (and recent Indian players) versus the rest.

uvelocity

International Coach
those tweets are good. I'm not religious but if the guy wants to put postive thoughts out there, good on him.

Just stole the apple one ftr.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Pollock was probably my favourite South African player ever. Would watch him bowl and bat all day. An outstanding bowler as mentioned for 2/3rds or more of his career and reliable/good bowler who could be devastatiing in the rght conditions for the last 1/3rd of his career. Batting was always useful. His numbers are amazing and in my mind, second only to Kallis in terms of test players in the last 15 years. He's just a slightly lesser version of Mcgrath with the ball, but can bat decently.

Find it shocking how underrated he is. Like unam mentioned, the media and general public are responsible for this. Performances are too often mixed up with style, watchability and being part of a largely followed series. Pollock was just a guy who did the damage quietly and politely. Maybe he should have been more aggressive and sledged some more. But then again the media and general public have no clue on most things; the fact that there is even a debate about whether Bradman is the best batsman ever highlights this.

Similarly England and Australia control a lot of the media views on cricket, so performances between and against these 2 teams are overhyped. In the last 10 years India have joined these 2 teams, and there definitely seems to be a bias in the rating of English and Aus players (and recent Indian players) versus the rest.
The real reason without a shadow of doubt. The English and the Aussies overhype their players, hence we hear how good Flintoff was everytime!

unam

U19 12th Man
It probably doesn't help that we have quite a few players putting out similar numbers of late...

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

(Broad, Bresnan, Watson)
Shaun Pollock did it over much much longer period and in different era. The main reason is mentioned by cricketismylife. if he had played for England, Australia or India, people would be comparing him with players like Imran Khan and Gary Sobers etc. and the reason Kallis is so underrated is same.